Change Mode

**Help -- Which of these 2GB kits do you think is best?**

Well, I've been planning to make the move to 2GB for some time but I've been waiting for some good clocking 2GB kits to drop to around $200. (I've been pretty spoiled with these PC4800 sticks so I was hoping to get something comparable in the 2GB category.) It looks like the time has come with these rebates from Monarch. But there's basically four kits to choose from. Which should I get? :blink:

2 GB DDR400 (PC-3200) OCZ Dual Channel Platinum (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K)

Timings: 2-3-2-5, Voltage: 2.6V

Price: $190.88 (After $35 Rebate)

2 GB DDR400 (PC-3200) OCZ Titanium (OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K)

Timings: 2-3-2-5, Voltage: 2.6V

Price: $195.66 (After $40 Rebate)

2GB DDR500 (PC-4000) OCZ EL Gold Gamer Ext. XTC (OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K)

Timings: 3-4-3-8, Voltage: 2.75 Volts

Price: $196.66 (After $30 Rebate)

2 GB DDR500 (PC-4000) OCZ Gold (OCZ5002048ELGE-K)

Timings: 3-4-4-8, Voltage: 2.8V

Price: $204.67 (After $25 Rebate)

Basically, these are the questions I have. . . .

1. Is it better to go with a gold kit that is guaranteed to do DDR500 but already has very loose timings . . . or is it better to go with a Platinum/Titanium kit since there is a lot more head room with the tigther timings?

2. What's the difference between the Platinum versus Titanium and which is probably better?

3. What's the difference between the Gold versus EL Gold Gamer and which is probably better?

Thanks for any help guys. . . . Hopefully I can make a clear decision by the end of the day so I can catch the rebate. :)

Edited by Revivalist

Based on what I have heard, the timings are what's guaranteed at that speed. So if it's 2-2-2-5 @ 400, then it's just that...

It may give you more headroom since it has lower timings, but there's no guarantee. I'd go with this one though: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...s&AFFIL=TH&NR=1 since it reached DDR500 at slightly lower volts than the last one, and has slightly tighter timings.

They're all around the same price though, so I'd go with one the DDR500 kits

Edited by brandon

Ya know what your looking for by going with OCZ. :cheers:

I know this recomendation is a bit more money than what you may want to spend but I'm very very happy with my OCZ5002048EBPE-K. I have not seen a single EB kit do less than 250 at 2.5-3-2-5 even if they are rated at cas 3. Mushkin SKU991493 2GB XP4000REDLINE DUAL PACK are also very very good in 2 gig Infineon action. Whatever ya do ... stay away from Crucial Ballistix in 2gig! It's crap after 6 months no matter how cool ya keep it. :angry:

If ya want max performance with 2GB sticks ... you will not go wrong with the above recomendations!

Edited by Ice Cream Xtrem

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Welcome Ice Cream Xtrem! . . . I considered the Platinum PC-4000 EB kit but the cheapest I found it for is $280 at Neweggg. I don't really see that it's able to clock that much better than the Gold series to warrant the extra $80. . . .

So I guess right now I'm leaning toward the 2GB DDR500 (PC-4000) OCZ EL Gold Gamer Ext. XTC (OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K) . . . . But I just really don't like those timings. It basically means there isn't really much chance of getting more out of them. . . .

Edited by Revivalist

It's good to see you making the leep to 2GB's!!! You won't regret it!

I would go with something gauranteed to overclock. There is a lot of specultion about what chips OC to 250, but when the time comes and the chips just won't hit the speed you need, it can be very frustrating. I made the mistake of a buying a 2GB kit that is rumored to do 250 but not gaurnateed. I was one of those unlucky ones. I still got everything going good, but the freedom to be able to bring the RAM up would of helped a lot. The advantages of 2GB, will far outweigh any performance drop you get from looser timings. Through my reading, I have seen minimal performance differences in memory timings once you hit that speed. I think that the Gamer edition is the way to go.......

3-4-3-8 isn't too bad, and if it likes voltage at all you could probably get something a little tighter. I'm not too sure what I-C's those use though. I wouldn't worry too much about the Tras, as I have found that, on three different AMD 64 systems, it actually performs better at 9 or 10, than it does at any other setting. I also read the same information in a couple reviews somewhere a little while back. Let us know which way you go, and also, how it turns out for you in the end B)

@ wsrider - That's true. . . . I guess it's silly how much of an OCZ fanboy I am. . . . It's just that their support is simply amazing. I've never seen anything like it. If you ask them, they will literally walk you through every setting and testing needed to achieve the best overclock on your system. And they have data bases of clockspeeds and settings for all the popular boards & RAM combinations. I personally think they're the best RAM company.

@ shogan191 - Yeah, they're for the Expert. I know this is contrary to popular impressions about this board, but I didn't experience any trouble at all running TCCD RAM on this board. My OCZ 4800 Plats could do DDR600 (2.5-4-4-10 1T) or DDR640 at 1T (3-4-4-10) or DDR680 2T (3-6-6-10). I didn't bother testing tight timings because I want to run 1:1. But it seemed to me that they play very well together. In fact, I think that the RAM was hitting a ceiling, not the board. . . .

Do you know of RAM that would run better on this board? I admit that I'm a fan of OCZ, but if there's a kit that's much better in the same price range, I'll go for it.

@ Agent Smith - Thank you very much for all the helpful info. . . . Yeah, I know how that can be buying hardware based on how it overclocked with others and then finding out that it won't do it in your own system. That's the worst. I think based on your recommendations I'll play it safe and just go with what I know is guaranteed by the product. Then if it's able to do a little more, I can be pleasantly surprised. If not, I won't be bummed because I expected an overclock it couldn't do. ;) . . . .

I'm also curious about good 2gb kits.... Another kit that was reccommended to me was the corsair 3500 kit... Just looking for some people to get first hand experience with them before I take the plunge! The cosair kit is around $410 (equiv) here and the OCZ is $363 (equiv.)

So you can see why I'm hesitant!

well i just installed the 2gb gamer kit listed (DDR500) .... i'll run it thru the mill later .................. giving the Baby a bottle right now tho :lol:

i figure i'll tighten the timings for stock and run SPD when pushing them

Edited by flewpastu

Well I had great performance with that OCZ on the Asus board but it wouldn't even boot at stock settings on the DFI. I've tried several times now. Maybe I'll try one more time. I'm running the Expert and the same ram so maybe you could share your timings and ram settings with me. I had to drop back to some old Geil ram that only runs 235 to 250fsb or so.

Well I had great performance with that OCZ on the Asus board but it wouldn't even boot at stock settings on the DFI. I've tried several times now. Maybe I'll try one more time. I'm running the Expert and the same ram so maybe you could share your timings and ram settings with me. I had to drop back to some old Geil ram that only runs 235 to 250fsb or so.

Sounds like a bios issue Sho..

What bios are you running?

I'm using the latest 12.07. I haven't tried since reinstalling from the original mess. I think I'll try them right now. Be back in a short. Naw still has a problem. It will boot the OCZ with stock settings but then it fall out of windows and reboots. Went to bios and set to 300fsb and it boots fine. I'm here at 300fsb 1.52 Vcore and all else default. Same as before. Have never had this board perfectly stable since I got it.

It will boot the OCZ with stock settings but then it fall out of windows and reboots. Went to bios and set to 300fsb and it boots fine. I'm here at 300fsb 1.52 Vcore and all else default.

@shogan191 - I take it you're barely posting in the thread before the next crash? :blink: . . . I'll send you a pm with the timings I've used stable.

@ flewpastu - I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. I still have 6 hours to decide if I want to buy that RAM. . . . I just ran some numbers and I realized that it's going to be hard to find good settings. . . . I know for sure I need 325HTT x 10 to run 3.25GHz. So that leaves me with the following options. . .

Use a 9/10 divider to give 295MHz on the RAM (keeping in mind that the RAM speed must be a multiple of the CPU speed on a A64 system.) But I doubt the RAM will do that, even with timings completely dropped to something like 3-6-6-15 2T. (Flew, if you would like to test for that, that would be very kind of you. ;) )

Or I could use a 7/10 divider to give 232MHz on the RAM . . . But that would be underclocking it! :crash: May it never be!!

So I don't even know if DDR500 RAM will work well with the numbers I'm dealing with. :unsure:

@shogan191 - I take it you're barely posting in the thread before the next crash? :blink: . . . I'll send you a pm with the timings I've used stable.

@ flewpastu - I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. I still have 6 hours to decide if I want to buy that RAM. . . . I just ran some numbers and I realized that it's going to be hard to find good settings. . . . I know for sure I need 325HTT x 10 to run 3.25GHz. So that leaves me with the following options. . .

Use a 9/10 divider to give 295MHz on the RAM (keeping in mind that the RAM speed must be a multiple of the CPU speed on a A64 system.) But I doubt the RAM will do that, even with timings completely dropped to something like 3-6-6-15 2T. (Flew, if you would like to test for that, that would be very kind of you. ;) )

Or I could use a 7/10 divider to give 232MHz on the RAM . . . But that would be underclocking it! :crash: May it never be!!

So I don't even know if DDR500 RAM will work well with the numbers I'm dealing with. :unsure:

Go with the 232!!!! Trust me, it is well worth it, I went from running 2.75 with 2x512 at DDR500 2.5-3-3-10, to running 2.79 with 2x1GB at DDR466 with 2.5-3-2-9 and the memory amount more than makes up for the loss in speed. It will be a good while before we see 2GB kits that will hit rediculous speeds..... the reality of it is, you simply will not be able to run BF2 with high textures until you get 2GB :mrgreen: Mise well bite the bullet and just run it at 232. You will lose bandwidth, but bandwidth doesn't mean much when everything is being stored in a pagefile does it????? lol

Good luck with whatever you go with dude!

OK well i set it to Cas 2.0 and had to clear cmos ........ guess that was a little to tight .....

right now @ cas 2.5 4-6-7 @ stock FSB ............ i got this Ram off a Bud that wanted 4Gigs & al he does is Game so when it would only boot @ 2t he decided to leave it @ 2gigs .......

so i'll be back in a bit to see what it'll do

EDIT OK back @ SPD Cas 3.0 4-5-7 @ 240 Mhz so far seems fine ....... if i remember when i 1st got my Old OCZ it needed a few days to burn in ......... so we'll see what happens

ran 3D-05 No problem but i guess the Orb is down ATM

Ran 3D-06 No prob's so thats stable enuf for me

Edited by flewpastu

@ shogan191 - No problem. I hope you get that thing stable. It's only the 2nd mobo I've ever had but I wouldn't trade it for any other. It'll clock anything you throw at it to the absolute max! It's just an animal!

@ Agent Smith - Once again, great info! Thank you for all your suggestions. . . . You're absolutey right about BF2. I just recently discovered the little trick to run it at 1680x1050 and I found that it's putting even more load on the page file. After turning up the AA to 4x, the AT to 4x, and trilinear mipmaps, I found that the game was actually using a 1 GB of pagefile! . . . My drives were crunching almost throughout the game. That's when I knew I needed 2GB for smooth play. :mrgreen:

@ flewpastu - Just be careful. I recently read over at the OCZ forums that some guy was tweaking his timings and I guess he made some hasty changes and "hosed" his board, as he put it. He had to exchange it for another one. . . .

By the way, are you aiming for tighter timings or higher clockspeed? . . . Also, are you sure that being stable in 3D Mark benches is enough for you? My concern is that most data corruption happens in the RAM so I like to be memtest stable for at least 8 hours solid. I know I'd be bummed if a personal file (like photo or document) gets corrupted because of a bad overclock.

Edited by Revivalist

Revivalist, another option would be to buy another gig of PC4800 plats. You'd HAVE to run at 2T, but it seems like you are doing that anyway.

Hmm. . . . That's an interesting idea. Another 2x512MB kit would be $167 at NewEgg. . . . But I've heard that 4x512MB is a heavy strain on the memory controller and folks at the OCZ forums say it won't overclock as well as 2x1GB. Also, I think it will probably be harder to sell 512MB sticks in a few years (when 2GB is common). . . . So I think I'll still go for a new 2GB kit. . . .