Gaza; The Muslim Alamo

Once again, that seems entirely reasonable to me.

Agreed. Of course the violence won't stop. In fact, it's likely to increase in the short run. But over time, a legitimate effort by the more powerful neighbour will have an all-consuming effect on the region, and for the better.

I

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if anybody has ever calculated the total amount of money spent by Israel on illegal construction in Palestinian territory. It must be staggering, and a huge factor in them clinging on.

I wonder if anybody has ever calculated the total amount of money spent by Israel on illegal construction

moon,

I made a similar observation a couple of years ago vis a vis American drug agencies. It's pretty obvious they can't afford a change of policy.

I

They're going to have to cut their losses, I'm afraid. The law doesn't allow for how much they've spent. Even if a large proportion of it was American dollars.

Do you think that the idea of Americans paying them to demolish illegal construction might catch on ? :lol:

Edited by moon

If they can't afford a change of policy then they will be bankrupt

They're already bankrupt to the tune of multiple trillions of dollars. At what point do you cash in the note you suppose you have?

I

Once again, that seems entirely reasonable to me.

but like I said, nowhere does he say what the occupied terratories are.

Once I want him to flatly say it, so he cannot deny it later that he wants Israel to pull back to its pre 67 borders

They've mentioned the pre-67 borders quite frequently, e.g.;

Mr. Mashaal’s remarks came as an apparent message to the new Israeli government that HAMAS is willing to return to the negotiations table if Israel met certain conditions, the BBC reported Wednesday.HAMAS would then "possibly give a long-term truce with Israel", he said.

"This is a position that HAMAS could take, but not now, only after Israel recognizes the rights of the Palestinians, to show and confirm its willingness to withdraw to the 1967 borders," he said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=10530

This is interesting;

Unofficial EU document shows Israel agreed to pre-'67 borders

Edited by moon

I have read in the past that Israel has agreed to gradually pull back to roughly its 67 borders given certain other concessions mostly associated with other "trade offs" recognition and a stop in terrorist actions

If Israel are talking openly about the possibility of withdrawing to the 'legal' borders of pre-67. Is it right to still call the aggrieved Palestinians acts of defiance those of terrorists :blink: The fact that Israel are openly accepting their argument (which is an admission of guilt in my book) must surely make them freedom fighters, not terrorists. Shouldn't it?

There is only one part. It's the same question put twice.

They are freedom fighters, doubtless, but Israel is correct in calling attacks on civilians , within Israel, terrorist acts.

By the very same token, Palestinians are entitled to call any Israel attack within Palestine a terrorist attack. I'd advise all civilians to take the same stand. We're becoming cannon fodder.

Edited by moon

If Israel are talking openly about the possibility of withdrawing to the 'legal' borders of pre-67. Is it right to still call the aggrieved Palestinians acts of defiance those of terrorists :blink: The fact that Israel are openly accepting their argument (which is an admission of guilt in my book) must surely make them freedom fighters, not terrorists. Shouldn't it?

Their argument is "Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth" so no they arent in agrement. Hamas has gradually realised that isnt going to happen at this point in time. They simply dont have the funds to succeed. They havent said that they wont try it in the future, which at this point in time is my problem wtih all their talk.

Suicide bombers killing woman and children isnt terrorism?

Tell them to put on uniforms and start attacking the Israeli military if they want to legitamise their "war"

Their argument is "Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth" so no they arent in agrement. Hamas has gradually realised that isnt going to happen at this point in time. They simply dont have the funds to succeed. They havent said that they wont try it in the future, which at this point in time is my problem wtih all their talk.

Suicide bombers killing woman and children isnt terrorism?

Tell them to put on uniforms and start attacking the Israeli military if they want to legitamise their "war"

Only the 'good guys' can kill women and children during war? Someone mentioned them before....were the French resistance fighting a legitimate war? The rogues never wore a uniform either.