Sign in to follow this  
leprechanmonkie

need some SUSE 10 help

ok instead of typing it all out, dont get mad at me and im not trying to promote another forum but i have gotten a minor bit of help and completly exlained my problem in this thread here

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...275#post2170275

if anyone has any more insight into getting avi's working correctly and the sata controller working it would be wonderful

What sata controller does the board have?

What problem with avi files?

Do no avi files play at all? Some but not others?

I can tell you if you installed the 64 bit version then avi files will just plain be a pain in the neck.

As far as the sata controller, well provide some infomation

As for the other forum, well I am not going there to read your questions, if want help here, then post your questions here.

Edited by Bruce

using 32bit suse 10.0

i have to start by letting you know i am very noobish when it comes to linux. I have got azurues and FAH to work and i can ftp to my xbox, im starting to get a basic grab for the gnome terminal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813157081

Asrock 939dual-sata2 atx

My install of SUSE is on the 10gb xbox drive i took out when i put my 200 gigger in there. The rest of my rig is

Asrock 939 dual sata 2

Airlink wireless card that aint working in suse,dont care cuz the wired is working and im right next to the router

1gb pc3200

Amd opteron 144 @ 2.5ghz

Maxtor Sata2 200gb 16mb cache( want to make a linux partition or it would be great if i could get stuff off my ntfs partition to work with(all my media)

Fortron 400W psu

ATI X800 gto^2flashed to 16pipes(want my 2 monitors to span like they did in windows)

At the other forums i was told to post a output of "lspci" and that gave me this

00:01.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation: Unknown device 524b

00:02.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation: Unknown device 524c

00:03.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation: Unknown device 524d

00:04.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1689 K8 Northbridge [super K8 Single Chip]

00:05.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation AGP8X Controller

00:06.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation M5249 HTT to PCI Bridge

00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1563 HyperTransport South Bridge (rev 70)

00:07.1 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]

00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5455 PCI AC-Link Controlle r Audio Device (rev 20)

00:11.0 Ethernet controller: ALi Corporation M5263 Ethernet Controller (rev 40)

00:12.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c7)

00:13.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)

00:13.1 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)

00:13.2 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)

00:13.3 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller (rev 01)

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTra nsport Technology Configuration

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Con troller

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscella neous Control

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5d4f

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5d6f

03:00.0 Class 0106: Unknown device 197b:2360

05:05.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface

i couldnt figure out how to uninstall the drivers that suse put on by default, but i did "succesfully" get the ati drivers to install. The setup went fine, no errors, but when i tried to run one of the games it said i have no hardware acceleration or rendering or something. everything is choppy and these arent the most graphic intense games

then, i got the dual monitors to work for a while, but right before i just got into windows and on here to post, the second screen went all crazy and nothing was displayed right. so i think i am needing to reinstall the graphics drivers but i dont think im completly ready to remove the old ones.

none of the media players i have(kaffiene,mplayer,and totem movie player) will open my avi files, isnt there a codec pac i can get so all of them can play .avi's?

Ali chipsets? I haven't seen them in years in fact I thought they were out of business. :huh:

Since you haven't said what chipset the sata is, I am going to assume it is Ali which is all lspci shows that board to have. There is minimal support for it with the beta libata driver. It may or may not work, might be buggy. I would not use beta drivers on a system that is dual boot as you may risk loosing everything.

There are a lot of sata chipsets that are not well supported because the manufacturers don't produce drivers for them. You will have to look into the libata driver, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Do an online update in Yast, then follow this tutorial to add a new packman source, then video codecs can be installed by installing mplayer.

http://itsyourpc.org/Tutorials/Yast_Source/tutorial.html

I am not sure what you did to install the drivers but I can assure you it takes a lot more then a couple clicks to get ATI stuff installed and working properly.

You jumped in pretty much with scetchy hardware at best.

You might be better off to get a good sized ATA drive. I don't use ATI cards, because ATI drivers suck, but they can be made to work.

You will have to wait for someone who uses one to chime in, to get it working properly.

thanks, got the codecs installed bruce. i was under the impression that linux could be run on anything and everything(basically) but it seems its a little harder to get working than youd think. Should i just be happy that i can get all this stuff done without worrying about viri and spyware, i guess maybe i should just be happy with what i got

If you want help with specific hardware issues, especially considering I don't know of anyone here running that chipset, then I would suggest going to

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php

When you post there, don't post links to other forums, and tell people to read them, you won't get any help that way. :pullhair:

Think out your questions before posting there, gather as much information about your specific problem, and list of the "exact" hardware you want help with.

Don't post links to newegg :laughing: read you motherboard manual for the information you need. :P

The more precise information you provide, the more precise your answers will be.

Ask about "one" problem at a time, and work on that one problem. Then move on to the next one in a new and separate thread.

the only reason i posted to the other thread is because there was responses to some of my questions and they asked me to do things to help figure out the problem, i assumed there responses were useful in helping and i didnt want to just steal what they wrote and post it here, sorry for the mistake.

thanks for the help, maybe ill just get a more compatable motherboard, hopefully one that can run osx x86 cuz this one cannot properly either. Thanks for the help again

the only reason i posted to the other thread is because there was responses to some of my questions and they asked me to do things to help figure out the problem, i assumed there responses were useful in helping and i didnt want to just steal what they wrote and post it here, sorry for the mistake.

thanks for the help, maybe ill just get a more compatable motherboard, hopefully one that can run osx x86 cuz this one cannot properly either. Thanks for the help again

Some people care and some don't. Don't worry about it. If they don't like it they don't have to look. That's how I feel.

IMO, I wouldn't care if you posted a link to another forum where you were getting help unless you just joined the forum to post this help and I didn't think you would stick around afterwards.