Sign in to follow this  
duh

Whats are the steps to fdisk,reformat, then install WindowsXP

I've only done this with WindowsME (a hundred times), so what are the steps.I'm good at following directions so it shouldn't be a problem.I will also need the command lines.I already have the 6 bootup disks but don't know nothing more about them.I hope this isn't asking too much and I really appreciate the help.Its being done on DELL computer with XP already installed and I want to fdisk,reformat, and install fresh.

Edited by duh

Did the dell come with a full XP cd, or recover cd? If recovery, DO NOT fdisk and format! You could wipe out the recovery partition.

Thanks for replying.I do have the authentic Home XP disk that came with the computer and I do know how to fdisk.I guess what I really need to know is can I use a WindowsME boot disk to do the fdisk and reformatting like I do with Windows ME ?Do I use the the same commands? A:fdisk then to reformat A:format c: ? At what point do I stick in the 6 floppy disks and what will happen after the sixth floppy is installed? Will there be a command I need to enter like E:setup ?

Edited by duh

Give this a read,

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

At what point do I stick in the 6 floppy disks

Can't answer that never used them, always done all partitioning and formattting just using the XP cd. The boot cd's are only required if you are attempting to install to a computer that can't boot from cd, the XP cd has its own version of fdisk built in.

Well, if you have the XP disk you don't need to go through those steps. Just enter the bios and set it to boot from cd first. Put in the cd and exit bios saving changes. It will boot to the cd. Then just follow the onscreen instructions.

But if you want to go through those steps, then yes a ME boot floppy will work.

Give this a read,

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

Can't answer that never used them, always done all partitioning and formattting just using the XP cd. The boot cd's are only required if you are attempting to install to a computer that can't boot from cd, the XP cd has its own version of fdisk built in.

Cool, so I really don't need the 6 disks ,just do everything the same way as I did with WindowsME except at E:setup I will be sticking in the XP disk instead, right? Edited by duh

You don't even need the Me boot disk, just boot from the XP cd and follow the on screen prompts.

You don't even need the Me boot disk, just boot from the XP cd and follow the on screen prompts.

OK. Thankyou VERY much, I'll just do everything from the XP cd, and use that link posted above.One last question,when XP "formats" after the deleting partition,is that the same as reformatting, when you wipe the disk clean? And I don't know much about NTFS as I have alwas use Fat32 so whats the difference?