Change Mode

Hard drive heat

65 to 70C, maxtors work well when there hot, when there cold is when they act like crap.

heres my temps

Field Value

Maxtor 6Y080M0 48 °C (118 °F)

theres two in raid thats why you only see one

Edited by duanester

65 to 70C, maxtors work well when there hot, when there cold is when they act like crap.

heres my temps

Field Value

My western digital 200 gig consistently runs at about 100 farenheit. Runs beautifully I might add.

Personally I would think 65 to 70c is cooking your hd. 44c isn't to bad. Depending on the air flow through your case the hd at idle will be about 2c higher than your motherboard temp. Just remember heat kills electronics, the cooler the better.

Personally I would think 65 to 70c is cooking your hd. 44c isn't to bad. Depending on the air flow through your case the hd at idle will be about 2c higher than your motherboard temp. Just remember heat kills electronics, the cooler the better.

65-70 is hot in harddrive sense, but its sometimes better to have them warmer, obviously to within reason... about 45-50°c is a good temp for a harddrive to work at full capacity.

as you will read from the link below, bearings in the harddrive now are liquid, and as anyone knows when liquid is warmer it becomes more "fluid" giving better speeds, lubrication and lower noise levels

http://www.ebearing.com/news2001/news187.htm

heres my temps

Field Value

i have a 30GB maxtor, without a fan it's too hot to touch but the sensor said around 45C.

I use a fan to cool it, and it runs at around 25C.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=6Q7X0WT10RCSMDAR

C: is the drive. It doesn't seem like "crap" when it's running cool/cold.

Yep checking the Western Digital site it seems that 65 C is the cut off point at top and -40 is the cut off at bottom. The -40C seems lower than I would have though. Can't imagine running a drive at that temp but who knows. I've always noted how warm the drives seemed to get but figured the front 120 blowing over them was enough. Haven't had many drive problems so it must be ok.

27c/80f is were my wds like it any lower they ack up.

i like them around in the 30s.

funny tho i dont have any fans blowing on them befor when i had a hdd cooler on the 250gb it was realy slow and will freeze so i took it off and so far its been running fine:)

27c/80f is were my wds like it any lower they ack up.

i like them around in the 30s.

funny tho i dont have any fans blowing on them befor when i had a hdd cooler on the 250gb it was realy slow and will freeze so i took it off and so far its been running fine:)

I have added a 2 fan harddrive cooler. She is running cooler than before. According to the temp guage 85 farenheit. Fairly good improvement.