Sign in to follow this  
gary smith

Looking For Some Advice!?

I was wondering what everyone is using for an antivirus protection? and/or What people would suggest is to be what they think is the best or better one to use ?

Here is my sittuation, I have around thirteen days left on my subscription with my antivirus program right now. that happens to be Nortons Internet Security 2005. this has allmost all you need Antivirus,Popup stopper,Spyware intervention,E-mail security and a couple others . Now I will admit it has done a very fine job or even an excellent job at protecting me while on line, but yes here it comes, I as a gamer one who plays online gamming quite abit, have ran acrossed some annoying things, Like for instenc that did you know that norton internet security has 11 yup eleven active process running when you hit the start button,

thats if you don't want the little emblem showing in your taskbar down at the bottom on the right, and say your in the middle of some intens battle on BF2 "thats Battle Field 2 "for thos who might not know ,and all of a sudden boom your at your desk top with this [email protected]#$^ bleeping info sign telling you , You have thirteen more days on your subscription,restart your subscription now or do it later! :pullhair::thud: :crash: Well I am not going to start with the words that come out of my mouth at that moment,just know that their not nice. Anyways in most of my search for better performance out of my machine,many suggestions are to shut off antivirus & spyware and such while gamming, OK so you can disable the antivirus & internet security

for several different time selections or to restart after a reboot , Hay I don't know how long I'm going to be battelling it on the field or on another game!!, Well I supose you see where I'm going with this and I will admit that it is probably a little bit of over reacting but, if your a gamer you more than likely now where I'm comming from. So this leds me to asking for everyone's oppinion about what they think is the better or best antivirus software out there ?

I would like to here from any one on this Exspecialy from the gamers point of view. So please let me know what you all think,as you read before I still have thirteen day's left to make my desition.

Thank's for your time and if any concern in advance, as this will help me decide on my antivirus protection future LOL .. :bang:

This thread and it's links should give you a good idea of what will work best for you: http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=108521

In the situation as you are describing it, I believe that kd5's suggestion from the link may prove most beneficial to you.

:)Y

Thanks I'll check it out, any body else have any suggestions ?

Thanks I'll check it out, any body else have any suggestions ?

I think the 2 best av's out there are Kaspersky and Nod32. IMO, nothing else comes close.

If you really want a good av, choose them.

If you want a free one that doesn't update often (once a week or so) and sometimes only AFTER a virus is already in the wild, then go with something else but Kaspersky updates 20+ times a day sometimes. That's darn good protection and also helps with zero-day exploits.

Thank you! I will check in to these. just one thing if this product is checking 20+ times a day that would be a running process,don't get me wrong I know their have to be a few but,can you possibly give me any idea on the number of active processes this software utilizes,nortons uses at min.12 thats with the live updates and all. unfortunatly this is unexceptabl. Yah I know I could run out a grab another 1gig of ram but,

at the same time I'd like to still reduce my system processes to below 38. I am probably seeking information & help with a topic that should not be so difficult and, I probably should just except that I must have this protection and unfortunatly at the cost of some memory.man rhat sucks!! I guess it's time to head to the store for some more ram HUH!!?

Thanks for your input I'll check it out.

update: To Ykawika & smb thought you might like to know that I am currently giving NOD32 trial version a try and so far I am likking the results, already I have reduced my proccesses from avg.38-39 down to avg.30-32 WOW I can actually see a difference HAY! thanks guys for your help and suggestions I truly do appreciate it. I'll be looking into that kaspersky as well smb,don't want to overlook any thing before makking my decition once agian guys THANKS and I think that will just about close this topic at leased for know LOL!!!!!??

For a gamer, I would recommend Avast! Anti-virus for these reasons:

Uses small amounts of memory/CPU Power

Automatic updating is enabled in the freeware version

Support for 64-bit windows (It still works in 32-bit also)

"100% detection of In-the-Wild viruses"

Also, I would recommend Kerio Personal Firewall because:

Small memory/CPU usage

More control than the majority of free firewalls

I am a gamer myself and I have always had good results with these two programs.

Edited by _TyIzaeL_

Hay! thanks TyIzaeL & ReecoSuave I'll add these to the list and check them out. I appreciate your input and I'll besure to let you all know the final out come!

TyIzaeL I've never heard of either one of these before so I'm interested to see what these have to offer. thanks again

I used to swear to NOD32, but after missing a couple of viruses that Panda online scan found (one of them being Zapchast.S) I no longer use it. I Prefer AVG and its free

Have you ever considered Panda to be mistaken, instead of NOD32? I highly prefer NOD32 above Panda. I don't like Panda at all. Their online scan picked up some 'viruses' on my computer a while ago, but a thorough checkup pointed out those weren't there at all :)

AVG is a good program, but I don't think it beats NOD32. But it's free, and for a free-to-use program AVG really rocks :geezer:

I will confirm Hans's deduction, as there is a very good likelyhood that Panda's online scan misinformed. Their detection methods with the latest engine has produced numerous false/positives.

My personnal feelings are that you will find the best utility to be NOD32. That being said, I am grateful for this thread and the fact that you are willing to give each of the other suggestions a run.

Please continue to post back with your findings as it will prove to be a valuable tool for others to reference.

Thanks,

OK so I have just been taking a look at two of the suggested programs suggested by TyIzaeL wich where

Avast Antivirus & Kerio Personal Firewall. While looking over Avast I noticed in one of the topics it mentions

that it provides this new feature called Web Shield,this acts as a transparent HTTP proxy!. To be honost I

have no clue what that exactly means but,I'll go with it, meaning (ok sounds good I guess?!) lol. This web

shield feature apparentaly has almost zero effect on browsing speed, " this is interesting " but I don't usually

have any difficulty with browsing,just keep reading. Another new feature called "Intelligent Stream Scan"

OK pay ATTENTION: lets the web shield modual scan objects on-the-fly,without the need of caching them

locally. Stream scanning is performed in operating memory only (without the necessity to flush the contents

to disk), providing maximum possible throughput rates.OK!? so this is where I ask the stupid question!!?

It says stream scanning is performed in operating memory! "I am going to assume this means "active

memory or a running proccess"? wich is fine if,their are a few not a lot of running proccesses. this product

seams to offer many of nice features and I will be installing and running the trial version today 02/11/06.

One quick thing before I go download, this product is offered in the 64-bit and 32-bit vertions witch is cool

because, this means it is available for everyone, not to mention it is FREE yes 100% all the time FREE,so long

as you are not using the pc it is installed on to make any money.then you must get the pro version and sorry

I don't know how much but I presume it's not to exspensive. scroll up to TyIzaeL's reply and click on the

underlined Avast! Anti-Virus and this will take you right to the spot with all the info on this program. allso

If Anyone could tell me how important it really is to have a Firewall up & running or not? I would like to hear

anything at all,because I can say that after using the computer with online access for the last three yrs. out

of 5 I've used the computer at all,I have never used a firewall deffinetly not win xp's and cross my fingers to

my knowledge have never been Intruded upon. Of course how would I now I'm a NOOB. any takers on this?

I will be giving a personal report about my thoughts on NOD32 soon as possible. REMEMBER people I am a

total nooob to computer and have no techie experiance so take what you read here posted by me as notes

& not as the most accurate or efficiant answers! just wanted to say that one time, lol (Where's spell check? I need spell check, auwww)

update(sorry)

2/11/06 5:17pm

In the process of startting a report on NOD32 I realized that,I have only been using NOD32 for 4days and instead of trying to quickly pick & choose an Anti-Virus program.I have decided to try some thing different in my life and BEEE PAAAAATIENT!! lol I am going to run this program for 30 days before I remove and try another one of these suggested programs. This should allow me to give a better and more spacific report as well as allow me to experince the product a little bit. If anything should go wrong, I will decide at that point weather to move on or continue the 30day testing. Hope fully, I my self can be patient enough to wait this long, since it is a rather important part of our lives, in this unfortunate Battle against the usless,worthless HACKER, ATTACKER,SPAMMER or LAIMO throwing that 18mm wrench in your bike tire as you try to ride bye

ummm yes it is an ugly picture and trust me you don't want to see it!!!!!! I hope that others can learn from this like I am & like Y kawika mentioned previously. so check back once in awhile for any updates in this search for the gamers Anti-Virus program. And as always please feel free to put your two cents in,I am willing to listen & learn & can deal with criticizim and have a very open mind. Thanks :thud::pullhair: :crash:

Edited by shreden

You're doing just fine shreden, didn't mean to intimidate in any fashion. :blushing: You have been using a firewall since the installation of SP1 on your XP rig. The newer version of Windows, Vista, will supposedly improve the function of the firewall.

The reason for a third party firewall today is to aide in detecting "out-going" port calls. The Windows default firewall blocks incomming requests (sort of, they can be bypassed with the proper scripting ;) )

Being that you are a gamer, you will achieve specific permisions for specific applications and specific ports while playing.

My personnal preference is: Outpost Firewall

Why? I like to play with the many, many functions and plug ins, also it's always been the most network friendly and less buggy of the other free firewalls that I've tested.

I was wondering what everyone is using for an antivirus protection? and/or What people would suggest is to be what they think is the best or better one to use ?

Here is my sittuation, I have around thirteen days left on my subscription with my antivirus program right now. that happens to be Nortons Internet Security 2005. this has allmost all you need Antivirus,Popup stopper,Spyware intervention,E-mail security and a couple others . Now I will admit it has done a very fine job or even an excellent job at protecting me while on line, but yes here it comes, I as a gamer one who plays online gamming quite abit, have ran acrossed some annoying things, Like for instenc that did you know that norton internet security has 11 yup eleven active process running when you hit the start button,

thats if you don't want the little emblem showing in your taskbar down at the bottom on the right, and say your in the middle of some intens battle on BF2 "thats Battle Field 2 "for thos who might not know ,and all of a sudden boom your at your desk top with this [email protected]#$^ bleeping info sign telling you , You have thirteen more days on your subscription,restart your subscription now or do it later! :pullhair::thud: :crash: Well I am not going to start with the words that come out of my mouth at that moment,just know that their not nice. Anyways in most of my search for better performance out of my machine,many suggestions are to shut off antivirus & spyware and such while gamming, OK so you can disable the antivirus & internet security

for several different time selections or to restart after a reboot , Hay I don't know how long I'm going to be battelling it on the field or on another game!!, Well I supose you see where I'm going with this and I will admit that it is probably a little bit of over reacting but, if your a gamer you more than likely now where I'm comming from. So this leds me to asking for everyone's oppinion about what they think is the better or best antivirus software out there ?

I would like to here from any one on this Exspecialy from the gamers point of view. So please let me know what you all think,as you read before I still have thirteen day's left to make my desition.

Thank's for your time and if any concern in advance, as this will help me decide on my antivirus protection future LOL .. :bang:

read this>>> http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124163,00.asp top rate of AV's..I say like pc world BitDefender may be best, especially for gamming as it uses less resources, its voted number 1 as a anti virus, an cost only $30, free 30 day trial..as well...i may get it myself this week ;) Edited by Wademan

The p[roblem with a/v reviews, is that they change from one month to the next...today this a/v is best and in a couple of weeks, you'll hear that another brand is best

I've been using NOD32 for over a year now...I like it

Hey Joe..I agree with you, just mearly expressing my opinion...they do change,,an all here have different av favs..even the admins, an mods here disagree on this....BUT this was the most comprehensive AV test Ive ever seen done by a NON biased magazine/company ;) Edited by Wademan

I used to swear to NOD32, but after missing a couple of viruses that Panda online scan found (one of them being Zapchast.S) I no longer use it. I Prefer AVG and its free

Kind of ironic that you would drop Nod32 for AVG because you say Nod missed something? AGV has one of the poorest detection rates in the av biz. :)

update: To Ykawika & smb thought you might like to know that I am currently giving NOD32 trial version a try and so far I am likking the results, already I have reduced my proccesses from avg.38-39 down to avg.30-32 WOW I can actually see a difference HAY! thanks guys for your help and suggestions I truly do appreciate it. I'll be looking into that kaspersky as well smb,don't want to overlook any thing before makking my decition once agian guys THANKS and I think that will just about close this topic at leased for know LOL!!!!!??

Sorry but I haven't looked in on this thread since my last post.

Nod32 really is one of the best there is. Kaspersky is better with it's detection rate...99.7% and it scans in depth so it scans slower than Nod32 but I notice no difference in realtime scanning. Nod32 is about 92-95% detection rate I believe. Not positive on that as it's been a short while since I've used it. Nod32 has better heuristics than Kaspersky and is lower on resources but not by too much. Nod32 has RK protection and in the next version of Kaspersky they will have it also.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one as they are as good as it gets. I think it's great that you're going into this with an open mind and are trying many out to see which is best for you.

Edited by smb

:) Hay people! thanks for all of your support, input & advice. It seems to me their are all ways going to be a few anti-virus programs at the top of the list,the only thing we need to do is figure out wich one is right for us or our system. I am now finding out that this could be a posible long proccess, expecialy when you get in to checking out 3 or 4 or more of these programs.However it all so ocures to me that this particuler topic

can be a some what argumentive topic. So seeing that this topic can have many different opinions and facts,

I will continue to test these different products that get mentioned here. I some times see that one product will be spoken highly of by many as in this case NOD32 has been mentioned the likes of more than any other. I am currently running NOD32 and even though it has only been 4 or 5 days,I have to say it uses very few system proccesses and it updates the threats list at leased one time a day if not more. this makes me happy and right now it will be put at the top of my list for instalation after I complete this little test. I'd like to take the time to say thanks to you individually :

Y kawika - thanks for your continued support and input on this topic,being as I'm a newbie to this whole thing it helps to see someone with a well rounded opinion and knowledge input on subjects like these, so once again thanks. :lol: and I'll check out that outpost firewall ty

Wademan - thanks for the info, I will give it a try and see what it's all about, Bit Defender is one I have not heard to much about,so thank you by the way what are you using now for your protection?

joe C - I would have to agree with you at this point on NOD32 being a good A/V, thanks for your input it helps

trigger 2040 - trend micro this another one I have heard very little about but, I have heard of it I think I past on it when I first started using an a/v for nortons internet security 2005, why did I choose nis2005? I made my decistion based on what I had been seeing people talk about online in many different places and nortons was at that time the most highly recomended and by the majority , so if it's good for them,it must be good for me!? humm well I guess we al have to learn some how! thanks again

smb - lol, no prob,thanks to you as well for such rounded opinions & knowledge,it's nice to now you can get some educated answers from some where. thanks again

Y kawika - you had mentioned something about windows vista, out of curiosity what do think about that new OS ?

I don't know too much about Windows Vista except what I've read and heard as it's been developing. The reason that I brought it up is that in the newest version, the Windows firewall will detect incoming as well as outgoing requests.

• Enhanced firewall. The firewall in Windows Vista enforces the rules set in the Windows Service Hardening platform, which limit the file, registry and network access allowed to only those that are legitimately required for a service’s operation. If the firewall detects abnormal behavior, as defined in the Windows Service Hardening rules, it will attempt to block it.

Inbound and outbound filtering. The Windows Vista firewall adds full directional control to the personal firewall, configurable by enterprise administrators through Group Policy. It allows administrators to block applications, such as peer-to-peer sharing or instant messaging applications, from contacting or responding to other computers.

http://www.activewin.com/screenshots/vista/5270/

And this is gonna help as well:

Windows Vista also builds upon the User Account Protection initiative—by default, limiting Internet Explorer 7 to just enough permissions to browse the web, but not enough to modify your files or settings—keeping your PC safer from web-based attacks. This Windows Vista-only feature, known as protected mode, means that even if a malicious site attacks a potential vulnerability in Internet Explorer 7, the site's code will not have enough privileges to install software, copy files to the Startup folder, or hijack the settings for your browser's home page or search provider.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/feat...eryone/ie7.mspx

:) Hay people! thanks for all of your support, input & advice. It seems to me their are all ways going to be a few anti-virus programs at the top of the list,the only thing we need to do is figure out wich one is right for us or our system. I am now finding out that this could be a posible long proccess, expecialy when you get in to checking out 3 or 4 or more of these programs.However it all so ocures to me that this particuler topic

can be a some what argumentive topic. So seeing that this topic can have many different opinions and facts,

I will continue to test these different products that get mentioned here. I some times see that one product will be spoken highly of by many as in this case NOD32 has been mentioned the likes of more than any other. I am currently running NOD32 and even though it has only been 4 or 5 days,I have to say it uses very few system proccesses and it updates the threats list at leased one time a day if not more. this makes me happy and right now it will be put at the top of my list for instalation after I complete this little test. I'd like to take the time to say thanks to you individually :

Y kawika - thanks for your continued support and input on this topic,being as I'm a newbie to this whole thing it helps to see someone with a well rounded opinion and knowledge input on subjects like these, so once again thanks. :lol: and I'll check out that outpost firewall ty

Wademan - thanks for the info, I will give it a try and see what it's all about, Bit Defender is one I have not heard to much about,so thank you by the way what are you using now for your protection?

joe C - I would have to agree with you at this point on NOD32 being a good A/V, thanks for your input it helps

trigger 2040 - trend micro this another one I have heard very little about but, I have heard of it I think I past on it when I first started using an a/v for nortons internet security 2005, why did I choose nis2005? I made my decistion based on what I had been seeing people talk about online in many different places and nortons was at that time the most highly recomended and by the majority , so if it's good for them,it must be good for me!? humm well I guess we al have to learn some how! thanks again

smb - lol, no prob,thanks to you as well for such rounded opinions & knowledge,it's nice to now you can get some educated answers from some where. thanks again

Y kawika - you had mentioned something about windows vista, out of curiosity what do think about that new OS ?

I use Ez Trust AV By Computer Assocaites....I only use it because it was Free with my dsl, it normaly is $30-40/per year..But DONT get IT,its junk...i proably gonna switch to BitDefender soon

I don't drink but maybe just one wont hurt :beer: All right here is an up date :

NOD32 RESULTS 02/11/06

updated 02/14/06 8:28:57 PM

This is my opinion and that is all it is,just one persons view's and opinion's !!!

That bieing said! Lets get started. OK this is my opinion of NOD32 : In my opinion, this product or program which ever you desire,is a pretty good program.

First, lets get you up to speed! I instaled NOD32 7dys ago,and today I decided to look into this one perticulare file that ever since I installed NOD32,when I would start my system, right after inserting my password to log in to windows the first popup screen is my battery backup program and the next one is this ERROR warning screen that would say and I will CAUTION you now if you find this file on your system get rid of it asap WARNING WARNING

[ C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00005.exe ]

This error warning sign was comming up durring system startup and has been since I instaled NOD32,at first because the file indicated it had to do with an ibm type file and I have no ibm type hardware on my system,I was just ignoring it and clicking on the ok so it would just go away. Tonight I got intrested in this file and begain to investigate it.

After a few searches I was led to do a search on google and I think it's safe to say that google has got to be the best search engine around with out a doubt. well google with in about 0.34 sec came up with this description of this particular file extention.

Summary of IBM00005.EXE

Trojan.IBM/Shell.Process Company Information

Unknown Description of IBM00005.EXE

Trojan.IBM/Shell.Process is a trojan that installs under the Microsoft Shared folder in Common Files under Program Files. The files are typically around 2-10K in size and start with IBM00000X.EXE the X is a variable number between 1-9.

Trojans are programs that can appear to serve a legitimate purpose but actually have an unwanted or harmful effect.

A large segment of trojan programs download other harmful software components to a user's PC without his/her knowledge.

This application is most likely downloaded and installed by another application that is considered to be adware or spyware. Threat Level (1-10)

7 Processes

IBM00005.EXE

It all so mentions file extentions ( ibm00001.exe , ibm00002.exe ,ibm00003.exe, ect...........) Folks if you have any of these files on your system please take heed

or warning and get rid of it now it is a trojan.

So to say the leased I am glad I have given NOD32 a try the only thing that bothers me right now is that their is an error warning sign that keeps popping up at the beging of windows start up. obviously the threatning part of the trojan is gone but their is still something that is trying to get me to fix this problem wich is all so obviously a bad thing, anyone with any suggestions on the removal or how to locate this,I encorage you to pm me asap, thank you and I will up date again once I have more info..

First if you haven't read the post above then I would say it might be a good idea to take a look at it.

Seconed thing is just some more thanks Zmike -- Thanks for the input I'll keep that in mind and allso sorry I can't help you with your question,unfortunatly I have no clue about the Linux OS but, hopefully one of these guys can help you out!!

Y kawika-- As all ways thanks again for the info & thanks for answering my question.

Wademan-- Thanks to you too for answering & thanks for the input.

Much appreciated guys thanks. :coffee: for the nondrinkers & :cheers: for the ones who do!!

First if you haven't read the post above then I would say it might be a good idea to take a look at it.

Seconed thing is just some more thanks Zmike -- Thanks for the input I'll keep that in mind and allso sorry I can't help you with your question,unfortunatly I have no clue about the Linux OS but, hopefully one of these guys can help you out!!

Y kawika-- As all ways thanks again for the info & thanks for answering my question.

Wademan-- Thanks to you too for answering & thanks for the input.

Much appreciated guys thanks. :coffee: for the nondrinkers & :cheers: for the ones who do!!

Give BitDefender a try..ITS FREE 30 days...justa thought..... http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Products/s.../1/Desktop.html