Sign in to follow this  
ogut

A little Disturbance for My New PC

For All of you who are really experienced with PC, please :help: me ....

I have a new PC, EMachine with AMD Sempron 3300, 512Mb RAM, 100 Gb HD (originally) & CD-RW/DVD-ROM (originally). In order to do some video projects, I installed additional HD (Western Digital, 250 Gb 7200 rpm) & DVD-RW DL 16X, both of them are installed as Slave. They ran fast and very good until two weeks ago when I subscribe DSL for my internet connection.

My DSL sometimes doesn't run as fast as I expect and the connectivity is disconnected sometimes even the modem still on. The worse, my computer just freezes and can't do anything that forced me to reboot the PC by pressing the power button. I usually turn the PC off to standby mode to save the power and I never have the problems to wake it up everytime I want to use it again. But since yesterday, I couldn't wake it up again and I had to reboot it again. Now I turn off the standby mode and let the PC on all the time.

Is there any problem with my hardware installation or maybe the DSL connections? Can you guys give me some advice to fix these problem? Is it ok to let the PC on all the time? Thanks......

Your problem is very likely that you've overloaded the power supply. Off the shelf computers come the bare minimum power supply. Also very likely your over heating the power thing too. Don't use standby for a desktop computer. Your DSL needs to be tweaked and the modems do lock up sometimes that being they appear to be connected but aren't actually connected. The modem has to be reset.

Mouse seems to be on target there. When you wake up from hibernation but yet the computer does not respond, that points to the computer's power supply not having enough juice to power the components, and the DSL connection probobly maxed it out.

Open your computer case, and report back how many pins the main plug has going into the motherboard. If it is a 12-pin, any replacement power supply will work, but if it is 10-pin, it is an OEM part and will require somee research on finding emachine power supply upgrades.

Here is a picture of what the power cord going to the motherboard looks like for reference.

http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.co...es/P1010209.jpg

Mouse seems to be on target there. When you wake up from hibernation but yet the computer does not respond, that points to the computer's power supply not having enough juice to power the components, and the DSL connection probobly maxed it out.

Open your computer case, and report back how many pins the main plug has going into the motherboard. If it is a 12-pin, any replacement power supply will work, but if it is 10-pin, it is an OEM part and will require somee research on finding emachine power supply upgrades.

Here is a picture of what the power cord going to the motherboard looks like for reference.

Thanks to mouse & The Dude for your responses, I'll check the pins to find out.

B)

Thanks to mouse & The Dude for your responses, I'll check the pins to find out.

I have an emachine T3265 desktop. In just the last few days I have started experiencing a very similar problem. My system is stable never goes to sleep unless I tell it to. My keyboard has a sleep button (very convenient ). However lately when I put it to sleep and leave it there for more than just a few minutes…..when I attempt to wake by mouse or space bar nothing happens. I hear a click but nothing happens. I am so glad this forum is going on. I am inclined to agree with the posters hear that say it is a power supply problem. Just before this problem started over the course of a week I installed in this order with a day or two between each item.

Evga FX5200 AGP 128 bit 256k memory graphics card ( no fan ).

Kworld Expert DVD pci capture card.

The newest model Adaptec Duo Connect Firewire/USB 2.0 pci card.

The Adaptec Duo Connect was the last/most recent item installed. The only reason I chose this particular card is because I also wanted the included Sonic MyDVD 3 software. The card installed easily…windows did it all. This card has a 4 pin 12 volt power connection for providing additional power to the firewire 6 pin so additional power can be at the ready for any firewire connectable components that require a little more power via the firewire connection. It is not required that I connect it….the card will draw sufficient power through the pci slot to run most components ( camera’s etc )….But I did connect it when I installed the card. Now hears the real kicker. The only available larger 4 pin plug to connect this thing to is on the end of about 3 inches of 4 wires coming out the back of the power coupling that supplies power to my hard drive and this is where I plugged it in.

Now when wakeup fails I press and hold the power button to completely turn the computer off. When I then press it again to start it up I can hear a click and a winding “down” wirr. Immediately followed by another click and a winding “up” wirr. This is very strange….I should only be hearing a winding up.

I am thinking the problem is like several of you are saying “The Power Supply” Im thinking that the power supply is not able to pump enough juice to my hard drive

( or an optical drive) during wakeup because well it’s old and week….300 watts in a refurbished emachine….and because when juice is getting fed to the hard drive because the Adaptec card is being fed by the same plug there is just not enough juice to launch it. So I am going to pull the cover tonight and disconnect the power to the new Adaptec Duo Connect and see if that fixes this issue. I will let yall know if that fixes this most aggravating problem. I sure hope it does. I just did a complete restore a few weeks ago I don’t want to do another for another year at least. Yo.

B)

Edited by surferguy

A few words about Emachines, HP and Compaq computers they aren't built to be modified in any way. They have power and cooling intended strickly for their stock parts and not one part more. Any time you modify any of these computers your risking every part in the system since they will fail due to not enough power. This is a lesson I learned the hard way. It can become very expensive as parts start failing due to lack of power.

Also, as far as the freezing up issue goes, maybe some anti-spyware or virus protection programs may be blocking the program and impairing you performance. Might want to check into that.

I think Mouse is right about the main characteristics of my PC (eMachine). Maybe its component installation, including the power system is too strict to accept any additional parts which will be installed into the system. Honestly I am really blind about inside the PC case and still learning hard about it. Maybe some of you can tell me what other symptoms that might happen to the PC when the part of system fails due to, let's say, lack of power or somthing..

Right now the problem that happened to my PC can be avoided. I follow the suggestion not to sleep my PC. Instead, I let it still on and just log off everytime I'm done with my PC. To make RAM run faster and more efficiently, I move my paging file in drive C (original HD with Windows OS installed) to drive G (add. HD with larger space and faster cache) and it works. But I still think something bad with my DSL connection (SBC Yahoo DSL). Mozilla is even faster to browse the internet than this browser. Or maybe it's caused by the same or another problem that I don't know. Any suggestion?? :pullhair:

Thanks for your info, Eclipse... I'l try to download that software and install it to speed up my connection.

BTW, what is RWIN?? Thanks.

;) Good News. That fixed it. Yeaaaa!! Oh Yea…The power supply is the problem. I just removed the Adaptec Duo Connect. Started the system then put it to sleep. I let it sleep for an hour then woke it with the mouse…..and it awoke completely just like it should….good pc.

Tonight I’ll try replacing the card but not hooking up the additional 12v for the firewire. But even if the awake from sleep problem does not return I still need to start looking far a new power supply. I don’t like the idea of being borderline.

On that….I have a question for “The Dude”…You mentioned 12 pin and 10 pin connections and provided a link. I disconnected my power supply mother board connector last night. From the outside it looks just like the one at your link

There are 2 rows of 10 pins. One of the pins is a dummy or empty making 19 actual pins in the connector. So what do I have……a 10 pin or a 12 pin?

Can anyone recommend a power supply? Most importantly I will want one that is "quite" and can handle...

An emachine T3265 with....

FIC-AU31 Motherboard

Two Internal DVD Burners

Floppy Drive

Hard Drive

AGP Card

3 pci cards = Kworld Video Capture Card, Adaptec Duo Connect firewire/USB 2.0 with 12v power supply, and 3rd pci not yet known.

I also have all for of the motherboards USB 2.0 connections (4) full....running 2 printers, cam, and UPS. But I don’t think that makes any difference but I’m not sure.

Thanks guys for the help hear…much appreciated.

Hey “ogut”……….Have you resolved your issue yet.

B)

surferguy I use Enermax power supplies in all my systems which I've been very happy with the steady state power. You can never have too much power since your system will only use what it needs. Quality is more important for example I replace a poor quality 500 watt with a good quality 420 watt. But another problem your going to run into with all those PCI cards the IRQs on some of those slots are shared and if what you have plugged into them are always active cards you will run into IRQ sharing conflicts.

:geezer: Thanks mouse....Im already checking them out.

Ya Know I had an issue a few weeks ago where I had installed 2 new 1G sticks of pc3200 400mhz ram on this machine. I was having problems like sometimes I would be scrolling a pdf file real fast or opening a new IE window and my screen would go completly black for a second or two and then pop right back up.

I replaced the AGP graphics card = that did not fix it.

I then put back in the original 512 stick of pc2700 that came with the machine = no more problems.

Now for the question.... Could this week power supply have actually been the culprit.....does faster pc3200 ram or larger amounts of any speed ram require more power to run. Or does faster ram put more power demands on its self and the mobo?

Any Thoughts?

B)

Screen going black could be a bad refresh rate for the monitor it could also be the video card not getting enough power. Not all motherboards support a gig of memory in each slot. Buying ram faster than your board/chipset support is a waste of money since it will only run at the speed of the FSB.

When troubleshooting a computer it best to solve one problem at a time. It's also best to only change one piece of hardware at a time that way if there is a problem you know what has caused it. The same way wih software don't install two or three programs at a time.

B)

Yo...Thanks for the advise. This board is one of those socket A boards that opens up to a 400fsb from a 333 only if you install an AGP graphics card. Once you do that you can run dual channel pc3200 ram.

So whats new??? = I picked up this power supply this weekend at my local TigerDirect Retail Store.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...50&Sku=ULT31851

That's right theres one right down the street hear in Raleigh NC. Of course they had a bunch to choose from but the one I got was the only one of it's kind left in the store. So after I bought it they were offically sold out. I wasent looking for a chrome plated pretty but I must say this thing looks damm fine in my case and the cable system is totaly awesome. My case now has plenty of room to breethe.

Everything works fine now and is very stable. All thanks to this forum/message board. Thanks Guys...and Gals if there are any. Yo now I can have a few of these.... :beer:

B)

Hi Surferguy,

Sorry, I got disconnected for a few days. I am glad you finally resolved your problems.

Me too :) ...

I was really worried if I have the same problem in power supply. And I contacted the eMachine help desk person to find out the specifications of my system and asked for assistance to sove my problems. They told me to check out my computer setting to make sure everything has been set correctly before deciding to do the necessary steps.

As for the sleep mode problem, he suggested to make sure that the power management settings are correct. These settings determine when and how the computer will turn off and on.

1) Click on Start.

2) Click on Control Panel. (Make sure you are in Classic view in

Control Panel.)

3) Double-click on the Power Options icon.

4) On the Power Schemes tab, change the Power Schemes drop down menu to

Always on.

5) Change the entire drop down menus to Never.

6) Click on the Advanced tab.

7) Set the Power button drop down menu to Shut down.

8) Click on the Apply button and then on the OK button.

9) Click on the Hibernate tab and take the check out of the box that

says Enable Hibernation.

10) Restart your computer.

I followed the instructions and I tried to set my PC to sleep/stand-by mode, and after a few minutes I woke it up, and it works. I never thought that simple step can solve my issue. Pheww, finally .....

Ok, good luck to you, Surferguy, and thanks a lot for this forum..