Sign in to follow this  
Revivalist

My Video Card Just Died!

Very, very bad news. . . .

This morning I was testing out my card to see how high I could clock it with my volt-mod. I was pretty happy getting up to 630MHz GPU. . . . But as I brought the voltmeter probe close to the card to measure the voltage again, it slipped a little bit and I guess it must have shorted two points . . . There was a little zap noise and the system rebooted, but the video display wouldn't come up. I checked the GPU and VRAM voltages and found they are both sitting around zero. :mrsgreen: . . .

Lesson learned: Never put a probe near the card while it's running. (Yeah, I know, it's an obvious act of stupidity. :( ) . . .

So does anyone know if there's still hope for this card or should I start looking for a new one? I need to decide quickly because I'm without a computer until then.

geeez that sucks. how new was it? less than 30 days? can you return to the store for refund? say it stopped working?

BFG has a great customer service, but doing a volt mod...I dunno.

i think you might be buying a new one :mrsgreen:

i'd clean it up, take it apart and put it back together with fingers crossed, if nothing then might as well look for new one...i'm amazed at how many things i got working again simply by taking it apart and puttting it back together lol

Edited by shogan191

Ok guys, thanks for the ideas. I'll try RMAing it. I got it from Ebay so the only option would be to send it to BFG. But it's probably going to be pretty hard to clean it up with all the conformal coating & solder (for the volt-mod) and the dielectric grease (for the TEC). . . . Should I try to take the ramsinks off or just leave them? I used Arctic thermal paste which is pretty permanent. (I've heard of people ripping the whole RAM chip right off!) . . . Will BFG mind that there's ramsinks on it?

man! that sucks, 630mhz is wild on a 7800GT, only if it had the extra pipes to go along with it! but it least u can video card shop again :(

Hmm, that’s true. . . . Good excuse to upgrade to a GTX? :shifty: . . . . :lol:

Clean the volt mods up. Then rma it, and next time dont have the power on when your testing. That zap popping noise isnt good scared me a few times.

I definately learned my lesson about using a medal probe near a video card while it's running. The problem is that the card has to be running in order to measure the voltage. . . . Next time I'm going to solder an extra molex on the card for measuring voltages like I saw someone do here. Edited by Revivalist

That is really bad news dude. It was going so well for you! Any chance you could show me where you got the info for the volt mod? I wanna do it myself..... I can't even really imagine this 7800GT at 630 core..... what did you get your memory to? Also, what type of cooling, and what were your temps? And just so I know what to expect, what were you hitting in 3dmark05? :lol:

lol brandon.. you cant resist! i hope i dont do any frying myself, ive got my AGP runnin 1.7v 82mhz. and some body told me he fried a card at 85mhz! but every little i raise the mhz my performance goes up about 1-2fps, but my motherboard proubly has better cooling than his though. and also ive heard of agp's running in the 90mhz. it sure helps

Ok, I'm not going to remove the heatsinks. Hopefully BFG won't mind.

I did the v-mod following this guide. I didn't have the chance to test the memory past 1300MHz (although I'm sure I could have gone past that by pumping up the volts a bit). I'm using a 110W peltier inside of a Maze4-1 waterblock. Temps are always well below 31C, even with hours of gaming. (I don't know the exact temp because the card won't report anything below 31C.) I didn't have a chance to run 3DMark05 benches with everything at full speed (CPU, RAM, GPU and VRAM) so I don't know for sure what I would have gotten.

@ burned-ati - Be very careful with the AGP frequency. I don't think cooling is really the issue with that because it's the speed of the motherboard AGP bus, not the video card speed. If the AGP voltage or speed is too high, traces in the motherboard could get damaged. There's much more performance increase by overclocking the CPU, GPU and VRAM anyways, than there is with inching up the AGP bus. I'm probably going to keep it at 80MHz max.

you cant rma it because you got it from ebay.WWJD? call it an expensive lesson and move on.and the whole buy a new one and swap it then get a refund crap is just wrong.you bought it from ebay to get a deal i presume,well part of the "deal"is no warranty.although if you did sell it on ebay as a non-working card youll be surprised at the offers you'll get.just be honest.

lol brandon.. you cant resist! i hope i dont do any frying myself, ive got my AGP runnin 1.7v 82mhz. and some body told me he fried a card at 85mhz! but every little i raise the mhz my performance goes up about 1-2fps, but my motherboard proubly has better cooling than his though. and also ive heard of agp's running in the 90mhz. it sure helps

you have no clue what your doing. :pullhair: Put the agp at 66mhz the agp volts at stock 1.5 i belive. Then overclock the card not the bus :thud:

edit and i didnt say i fried a card in the other post i said its a easy way to fry a card.. better motherboard cooling nice one. i have 3 120mm intakes in the front of my case ill stop there.

Edited by wsrider

This isn't the place to discuss how to go about cheating a mfgr out of a free card. Not what PC Pitstop or overclocking is all about. It's your risk not the makers.

Wicked clown - I appreciate the advice. I'm certainly not going to try to trick any retailer or manufacturer in order to get an RMA or repair. Just like you said, WWJD. Definitely not that. If BFG is willing to fix it, great. If not, that's fine, I can accept the price of my own mistake. I just figured that since the GPU and RAM chips are the most expensive parts on the card and they're probably unharmed, then why not salvage the card. In the meantime, I'm already looking around for a replacement.

Hey WSRider, please be gentle with our new friend. He's just exploring the different possibilities like we all have done. We can warn him of the consequences of making mistakes (like my mistake in this thread :rolleyes: ) but it's really up to him what settings he wants to use.

This isn't the place to discuss how to go about cheating a mfgr out of a free card. Not what PC Pitstop or overclocking is all about. It's your risk not the makers.

Yes, Shogan, I totally agree. I apologize if I stimulated any kind of discussion about cheating a mfgr. . . . Honestly, I started the thread with the hope that someone might have an idea about how to possibly troubleshoot the card and maybe even fix it with some soldering. . . . If you would like to close this thread it would be perfectly understandable.

Burned-ati is my litle brother. I think he is just OCing his bus because he has ran out of headroom on the video card!!! lol... don't fry that board dude!! It was expensive..... I don't think I would run the AGP bus at anything over about 75MHz. It does bump up the bandwidth a little, but not worth frying the board!

However, this voltmod might be worth frying something to get 600+ on the core!! Although, it is a major loss to kill a video card. I'm sure than thing ran you about $350. Sorry to see a good mod gone bad. And to everybody else, I don't think revivalist ever made a refference to cheating the mfr...... I mean come on, we are talking about a guy with bible quotes in his sig..... :)

Anything particular in mind for the next card Rev? (other than the obvious choice of a GTX I mean)

No problem. I cleaned it up a little.

I know this is off key, but sho.... those dogs look just like my mother-in-law's!! Hahaha I'm not sure how to spell the type, but I know it's pronounced like bi-shon right????

However, this voltmod might be worth frying something to get 600+ on the core!! Although, it is a major loss to kill a video card. I'm sure than thing ran you about $350. Sorry to see a good mod gone bad. And to everybody else, I don't think revivalist ever made a refference to cheating the mfr...... I mean come on, we are talking about a guy with bible quotes in his sig..... :)

:lol: That's funny! Thanks for the vote of confidence Agent Smith. . .

Yeah, the card was about $350 at the time I got it. Now it can be found for as low as $300. The sad thing is that it wasn't the vol-mod that killed it. The volt-mod was working fine. It was my silly mistake of accidentally dropping the voltmeter probe on the card while it was running which must have shorted two points. . . . But I guess if it wasn't for the volt-mod then I never would have been trying to measure the voltage on it to begin with. :shrug:

Anything particular in mind for the next card Rev? (other than the obvious choice of a GTX I mean)

Actually, I was just looking over some reviews and I was reminded of why I bought a 7800GT rather than a GTX to begin with. The real world performance difference is pretty slim between the two. It's usually something like 5 fps. To me that's not worth the extra $150-$200. . . .

Also, I just read that the GTX is about 1/2 inch longer than the GT. I just baaarely got the GT to fit in my case. The back was butted up against my Raptors. (You can see some pics here.) I even had to slice open the special EMI protective coating on the PCI-E power chord on my OCZ PSU. That was the only way to squeeze it in between the video card and the Raptors. . .

So, it looks like I'm sticking with the 7800GT until I upgrade the case (which I really don't plan to do for a long time.)

bad news on the card revivalist :pullhair: , (quote) Also, I just read that the GTX is about 1/2 inch longer than the GT. I just baaarely got the GT to fit in my case. The back was butted up against my Raptors. (You can see some pics here.) I even had to slice open the special EMI protective coating on the PCI-E power chord on my OCZ PSU. That was the only way to squeeze it in between the video card and the Raptors. . .

i know what you mean ? http://i1.tinypic.com/mwegbm.jpg lol

Edited by dunce

Hmmm, no chance of switching to an ATI solution? I would of went x1800xl when I got my card but I wanted to be able to go SLI later. Now I am already wanting to go SLI because of FEAR.....

whats all this FEAR needing a SLI set up? does it say on the box, recommends 2 7800's in SLI to run? :crash:

I find COD2 plays just fine on my 6600GT, so why would FEAR be any worse than COD2?

sorry if that sounds n00bish, but im new to gaming :)

Hmmm, no chance of switching to an ATI solution? I would of went x1800xl when I got my card but I wanted to be able to go SLI later. Now I am already wanting to go SLI because of FEAR.....

What?! Never! . . .

*takes deep breaths*

ok sorry about that, let me calm myself. :lol:

I'm personally an avid fan of nVidia. . . . After all, they're the "green guys" :)