Change Mode

Problem With Windows Or Something Else?

I can see that I'm not the only one here who is having problems with a Dell Computer. Anyhow, I had to reinstall OS back in December due to a major virus problem. Since reinstalling the OS (Windows ME) everything loads much slower than it did before the reinstall. The weird part is that it will only be slow for a few days and then speed up to its proper speed. As well if I overload the CPU by running many programs or high memory usage games, it seems to speed up the system after closing everything up.

Programs will take on average, about 5 minutes to load completely. And the mouse slowly drags along with everything. Once a program is completely loaded, there is no problem then. As well, opening any program or file will often cause a crash. Not particular about programs/files, will happen with any at random.

And I've had to disable the automatic updater for Windows Update since it will update the same file 3 - 4 times per day. It is always the exact same update each time (something for Windows Media Player) and each time it will tell me that the update was installed correctly with no problems. So then why does it always have to install the same thing each time? It should only install it if the update is not already present.

So is this all a problem with Windows OS? Or could it be something else? I have run every test possible and always get good results. The only thing that I can see as a possible problem is that CONFIG.SYS file is completely empty. Should there be something writen to this file? Or is this file dependant on certain installs?

If anyone can help, I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance and sorry for the length of this post.

I can see that I'm not the only one here who is having problems with a Dell Computer. Anyhow, I had to reinstall OS back in December due to a major virus problem. Since reinstalling the OS (Windows ME) everything loads much slower than it did before the reinstall. The weird part is that it will only be slow for a few days and then speed up to its proper speed. As well if I overload the CPU by running many programs or high memory usage games, it seems to speed up the system after closing everything up.

Programs will take on average, about 5 minutes to load completely. And the mouse slowly drags along with everything. Once a program is completely loaded, there is no problem then. As well, opening any program or file will often cause a crash. Not particular about programs/files, will happen with any at random.

And I've had to disable the automatic updater for Windows Update since it will update the same file 3 - 4 times per day. It is always the exact same update each time (something for Windows Media Player) and each time it will tell me that the update was installed correctly with no problems. So then why does it always have to install the same thing each time? It should only install it if the update is not already present.

So is this all a problem with Windows OS? Or could it be something else? I have run every test possible and always get good results. The only thing that I can see as a possible problem is that CONFIG.SYS file is completely empty. Should there be something writen to this file? Or is this file dependant on certain installs?

If anyone can help, I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance and sorry for the length of this post.

Best thing to do is to run a full Pit test and post it so others in the Pit can take a look and guide you to a fix ok :crash:

Best thing to do is to run a full Pit test and post it so others in the Pit can take a look and guide you to a fix ok :crash:

Thanks. I have run the full test many times and it always shows that there is no problems with my system. My test results should be available through the link at the left. I think it will automatically update the test results each time I run a test. But for now, I just ran a defrag and clean up of my system. Then retested the system and it said that there is high CPU load. I don't see how though since I have everything on my system disabled. The test results even show that there is programs running even though I have them disabled. I'm getting really annoyed by those programs and getting ready to just delete them.

Thanks. I have run the full test many times and it always shows that there is no problems with my system. My test results should be available through the link at the left. I think it will automatically update the test results each time I run a test. But for now, I just ran a defrag and clean up of my system. Then retested the system and it said that there is high CPU load. I don't see how though since I have everything on my system disabled. The test results even show that there is programs running even though I have them disabled. I'm getting really annoyed by those programs and getting ready to just delete them.

Your Tech Express link does not work--they only last a couple of weeks, and to the best of my knowledge, they do not update themselves.

:)

Many folks here are very, very good at seeing things/problems in tests even when it says everything is OK.

:tup:

Edited by flyfishingrules2

they expire so that the user can update there test, the results for a newer test helps more ;)

oh wow you're right, I guess I missed something before then.... sorry about the mistake.

here is the result from just now

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=LV310WVY4RCSJHPR

I hope this link works or is right.

Oh and I didn't mean for my last reply to be posted 2 times like that. My system has a nasty habit of duplicating posts like that. I click the post button once and it will make the post show up twice. It only happens every once in a while so I just assume it's not a really bad problem. I'm just concerned about the really low performance of the whole system for now. Like the fact that my processor is rated for 1600 MHz, should be set to 1500 MHz and yet is running at only 1458 MHz or so. As well as the external clock should be 100 MHz, but it runs a few short of its normal speed.

Again, sorry for the mistakes. And thanks again for all the help.

You are right, you are running a pretty lean and tight machine, but it does show a CPU load of 12 percent, which means usually something undesireable is running in the background. Personally I suspect McAffee is causing it because it is a known resource hog. Have you run Spybot and Ad-aware?

The only other thing I see is stimon.exe (I don't think it needs to run on startup)--Microsoft says:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257815

Maybe others will see something else :shrug:

I know OS Millenium is not a favorite too (flakiness has been well established, I believe).

If I were you, I would take out the old 64K RAM modules and move the two 256K modules over to the slots closest to the CPU. I would leave out the 64Ks and run your computer that way for a while and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes when you mix older and newer RAM, you get buggies. Be sure to ground yourself to the metal on the case before touching the RAM as it is very sensitive to static.

Edited by flyfishingrules2

You are right, you are running a pretty lean and tight machine, but it does show a CPU load of 12 percent, which means usually something undesireable is running in the background. Personally I suspect McAffee is causing it because it is a known resource hog. Have you run Spybot and Ad-aware?

The only other thing I see is stimon.exe (I don't think it needs to run on startup)--Microsoft says:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257815

Maybe others will see something else :shrug:

I know OS Millenium is not a favorite too (flakiness has been well established, I believe).

If I were you, I would take out the old 64K RAM modules and move the two 256K modules over to the slots closest to the CPU. I would leave out the 64Ks and run your computer that way for a while and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes when you mix older and newer RAM, you get buggies. Be sure to ground yourself to the metal on the case before touching the RAM as it is very sensitive to static.

I don't doubt that there is something undesireable running in the background, but I just don't know how to get rid of it though. I have already gone into msconfig and disabled stimon.exe from running on startup, but yet it does anyways.

As for McAfee, I've heard many people say that its a great virus protect program. And to be honest, I don't want to get rid of it since it was just recently purchased. I'd rather not have it turn out to be a waste of money.

As well I have heard many people say that the Windows ME OS is really buggy and not the best choice. Unfortunately, it's the OS that came factory installed on the system and was all that was available at the time. Yes this system is getting quite old, although I still have my other Dell PC yet too. And being that the other one is older (OptiPlex GX1 w/ Pentium 2 MMX) I guess I'm just stuck with this one until I can get a new PC. This time no more Dell.... until then, I try switching the RAM cards and see how that goes.

Oh and I just finally ran the PCPitstop Optimizer program today. It tells me that there is quite a few problems with the registry (some invalid entries, some entries missing) which I'm not sure how that could be possible since I had just reinstalled OS last month with no problems. Windows installed fine, then started to cause problems shortly after installing all Windows updates.

Your test shows Viewpoint installed read here to see what folks say about it. I would recommend getting rid of it. It is known to gather information without your permission.

Thanks for helping out and pointing out about the situation on Viewpoint. I have just removed it from the system. I didn't even know that it was installed.... guess maybe it was installed when I got AIM? Well I ran another pit test and CPU load dropped.. but PC still loads everything really slowly.

Thanks for helping out and pointing out about the situation on Viewpoint. I have just removed it from the system. I didn't even know that it was installed.... guess maybe it was installed when I got AIM? Well I ran another pit test and CPU load dropped.. but PC still loads everything really slowly.

Yes, it normally comes bundled with AIM, and installs without your knowledge. Glad the CPU dropped....that's a start huh? ;)