Change Mode

Canadian Elections

ikebut

Quote from NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert ....Posted Image

On Monday, Canada's anti-gun Prime Minister Paul Martin and the ruling Liberal Party

were ousted in the country's federal elections, bringing an end to the Liberal Party's

12-year reign.

The Conservative Party, under the leadership of Stephen Harper, will now take over

the government's control.

Outgoing Prime Minister Martin's scandal- plagued administration gained notoriety for

its ill-advised gun registration program that has cost the country more than two billion

dollars and, of course, did nothing to reduce Canada's escalating crime rate.

This registration fiasco, combined with Martin's recent call for an all-out ban on all

legally-owned handguns, rallied Canada's lawful gun owners who helped turn the tide

for the Conservative party.

As we've seen time and again in our own country, gun bans do nothing to reduce

violent crime.

Internationally, Australia's and Great Britain's gun bans and confiscations have proven

to be miserable failures, with violent crime rates escalating in the wake of their flawed

programs.

Hopefully the Canadian election results (coming fast on the heels of Brazil's recent

rejection of a national gun ban), will serve as a wake-up call to politicians who think

they can build careers by dismantling gun owners' rights.

Good choice....Canada

Posted Image

Quote from NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert ....

That's about where I stopped reading....

He is still more liberal then the Democrats in the US, I wouldn't expect any major changes to the system we have now.

And this is where some people south of the border will be disappointed. Not only that guru, but I'm not sure some Americans understand just how much his hands are tied by a minority parliament.

...they've already had guns, and that hasn't been happening very much in canada, if at all.

It has happend a couple of times within the past decade, not near the frequency of in the US though. Gun ownership here is really limited though, it is not so much the proccess moreso the lack of need/want for having guns

Th ban on handguns was a sideshow in the recent fedeal election, as was the law and order platform that won Harper a few votes due to the Boxing Day slaughter of an innocent. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people. And prohibition is a sure presciption for increased trade in firearms. Just look what it did for the illicit drug trade.

Guns are less prevalent (still) in Canada because, as a society, we don't like 'em much. They're messy and violent and inefficient as a governor of civic behaviour. We might be boring but we're not stupid.

I

For some clarity, according to Statscan the numbers for 2004 (the most recent numbers I could find) go like this in regards to homicides by firearm.

During the past 10 years, the proportion of homicides involving a firearm has remained fairly stable, ranging from 26% to 34%. In 2004, the proportion was 28%. In contrast, in the United States, two-thirds of all homicide victims were killed with a firearm in 2003, more than double the proportion seen in Canada.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/051006/d051006b.htm

Not taking Statscan's word for the US numbers, I went to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, but the most recent numbers I could find there are for 2002. In that year, there were 16203 homicides in the US. 10824 involved a gun, for a rate of 66.8%

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/weaponstab.htm

Edit-Keep in mind we're talking a comparison on a population of almost 300 million for the US and 30 million for Canada :lol:

Now I don't know what all that means, so take it as you will... :unsure:

Guns are less prevalent (still) in Canada because, as a society, we don't like 'em much. They're messy and violent and inefficient as a governor of civic behaviour.

I hope Iain that that trend continues, though I fear it may be on the verge of becoming a memory.

Edited by dwparsnip