Change Mode

Assisted Sucide is Perfectly Legal

theoldgardener

Stupid Ashcroft and his religous 'hit men' at the Justice Department get slapped back to reality by the Supreme Court...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected the Bush administration's attempt to block the only state law that allows doctors to prescribe drugs to help the terminally ill end their lives.

The 6-3 decision in favor of Oregon's assisted-suicide law opens the door to similar laws at a time when the nation's evolving demographics — baby boomers are entering their 60s — are pointing toward a spike in the elderly population and fueling debates over how much control patients should have over the end of their lives. Lawmakers in California and Vermont are considering laws that would allow assisted suicide; 44 states either classify assisted suicide as homicide or have passed laws that specifically ban assisted suicide.

Since 1998, at least 208 terminally ill patients have used Oregon's Death With Dignity Act to obtain lethal doses of drugs to end their lives. The emotional debate over the law often has focused on personal liberty. But for the court, it was a question of states' rights vs. federal power: whether then-U.S. attorney general John Ashcroft exceeded his authority in 2001, when he issued a directive that said physician-assisted suicide had no "legitimate medical purpose" and threatened to punish doctors who gave out lethal prescriptions under Oregon's law.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the court's majority, said Ashcroft lacked the legal and medical expertise to intervene. Kennedy, emphasizing states' authority to regulate medicine, noted Ashcroft issued the directive without consulting anyone in Oregon. Kennedy said adopting the White House's stance that Oregon's law ran afoul of U.S. anti-drug laws would mean a "radical shift of authority from the states to the federal government."

The Bush administration had argued that Ashcroft's directive was supported by the federal Controlled Substances Act, and that he had the authority to trump the state law because prescriptions in Oregon were not being used "for a legitimate medical purpose."

Dissenting in the court's ruling were Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas. They said Ashcroft had validly exercised his authority under federal anti-drug law.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to lay in a bed waiting for the 'end' for a 'few' years. If I'm not going to live a reasonably normal life, or I'm in pain--- let me go to "The Happy Hunting Ground" when I choose ..

B):sparkle:B)

Dam straight, who on earth has the right to tell someone that they have to live their last days\months (whatever) in pain etc, obviously extreme care should be made and it shouldn't be an easy ride so someone with terminal backache ends up so depressed they are able to do it, these sort of people need help with pain management etc not ending it all, but assuming care is taken and ALL are involved with counselling etc to prepare and that then why on earth should a person not be allowed a dignified painless end, I'm tempted to move there myself now as one day that will be me wishing such a choice.

I had to have my cat put to sleep (poor sweet Puff),I didn't want to,but I couldn't stand to see her suffer anymore,she went to sleep in my arms,me and the vet looked at each other with watery eyes (he had been her vet for 17 years and loved her as much as me and my wife did) and he said that was the first time it had ever effected him the way it did,then he said she's not hurting anymore and he asked for a picture of her so he could hang in his office,to this day thats the first thing you see when you go to his clinic,I would hope some doctor would do the same for me.

"Suicide was against the law. Johnny had wondered why. It meant that if you missed, or the gas ran out, or the rope broke, you could get locked up in prison to show you that life was really very jolly and thoroughly worth living.”

Terry Pratchett quotes