Change Mode

Do external Hard drives need defragging?

I get daily e-mails from Lockergnome's Problem Solvers, and today a concern came in about a pc user defragging an external drive and after defrag was completed, the pc did not recognize the external HD and could not get to valuable files. A response to this problem told the user that external HD's should not be defragged and did not actually need it.

Is this correct? Doesn't sound right, but then I'm a novice.

Thanks and will wait for a response.

Never owned an external hdd, but it seems to me that one would be hard to get fragmented. Usually the only way to fragment a drive is using the programs on it. How often would you do that with an external?

Edited by dickster

Depends on who you want to believe. Like 99% of computer and

there are plenty of opinions. My thinking is:

Defrag Your Hard Drive

Defragging your hard drive doesn't improve performance.

Defragging does improve reliability, however: A

fragmented drive is sure to encounter more problems.

You should defrag once or twice a month.

And now to explode another myth: There is no reason

to buy a third-party defragger. The one that comes

with Windows works just fine.

:geezer:

i have an external hard drive for storage, transfer and back-up. As stated above it doesn't get seriously fragmented for these applications. I have defragged it about once a month for the past couple of years. No problems.

Mine gets fragmented, Alot its a 160 gig NTFS external Hardrive. Idont' run anything off of it. I just upload Ghost Images, and anythign i download to it. I usually find it from time to time that it has to move the big ghost images somewhere else.

I also think it has to do with a setting. Mine is set to beready to be turned off at any time. I'm gonna gues if it was set different it would fragment but thats my opinion.

Depends on who you want to believe. Like 99% of computer and

there are plenty of opinions. My thinking is:

Defrag Your Hard Drive

Defragging your hard drive doesn't improve performance.

Defragging does improve reliability, however: A

fragmented drive is sure to encounter more problems.

You should defrag once or twice a month.

And now to explode another myth: There is no reason

to buy a third-party defragger. The one that comes

with Windows works just fine.

:geezer:

Thanks for all the responses. As always, they are greatly appreciated.

I have Diskeeper (paid version), and used to let it defrag my 3 drives automatically daily. I never had problems with leaving it this way. But,I remember being told by an expert here, that I should not leave it run all the time.

Would it be better to just do it on the C drive (set auto defrag to weekly)? And then just do the D (restore). and the F (external hd) occasionally, just when I know that I've done a lot of deleting, or unistalling and/or re-installing of applications?

Misc. question: I notice there is a check in the box below which says it sends me notices when replies come in, but I didn't get any and just clicked a "Pit" e-mail from the virus forum and then clicked on the user-to-user.

You plan for auto-defrag of C:\, and occasional manual defrag of D:\, E:\, is just fine.

Notifications.... You've probably got the notification set to "delayed notification" which is the setting that I always use. Therefore, if I'm already at the Pit, and browsing through threads, I often read new posts, and then get "notifications" shortly thereafter.

Notificaitons are great, if you are browsing away from the Pit, or if you turn off your computer and come back later hoping to follow-up from where you left off.

Post in "Site Feedback" if you "never" do get notified from this thread.

Best Regards

You plan for auto-defrag of C:\, and occasional manual defrag of D:\, E:\, is just fine.

Notifications.... You've probably got the notification set to "delayed notification" which is the setting that I always use. Therefore, if I'm already at the Pit, and browsing through threads, I often read new posts, and then get "notifications" shortly thereafter.

Notificaitons are great, if you are browsing away from the Pit, or if you turn off your computer and come back later hoping to follow-up from where you left off.

Post in "Site Feedback" if you "never" do get notified from this thread.

Best Regards

Thanks, dough, for the response. I went and changed my notification. It was set not to notify responses.

I noticed when I checked my Topics, that some postings has "delay" and some had none, so I hope I did it right.

Thanks again, and all always, I appreciate all the hard work and knowledge that is here in the "Pit".