Change Mode

I just installed Avast, I had Norton before and read how good it seemed to be,well I just ran a pit test and I used to have an uncached speed of 53 which was 226% over similar machines and now it runs at maybe 30. the standard is 23 but how would installing or changing AV have anything to do with this? :pullhair:

I just installed Avast, I had Norton before and read how good it seemed to be,well I just ran a pit test and I used to have an uncached speed of 53 which was 226% over similar machines and now it runs at maybe 30. the standard is 23 but how would installing or changing AV have anything to do with this? :pullhair:

DID YOU UNINSTALL Norton 100% ? or you still have it on your system :crash:

I just went through all drives and I believe I got rid of al NA and symantec.When I run a search I can only find 1 reference to symantec and that is the homepage? I have defragged numerous times. This is amazing. But starting to p*** me off!

EDIT: you are correct Avast is scanning while I run the test?? Norton never did. Is the setting too high or should I disable it for the testing?

Chris951: try this

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...=&osv_lvl=&seg=

Edited by rcranium

The reason Avast is scanning is that webshield is checking all the data being downloaded to your computor, web pages etc. this is to stop anything even reaching your hard drive, also as your list of add/remove programmes is being accessed avast is again scanning. As for the uncached speed avast should not affect that. I have had avast for a fair few years now and my pitstop speeds are generally 120 to 130%. All my settings are on high, although I only use four providers. As for norton that is a B**ch to get rid of, if you look on the avast forums a search will give you the links to the norton removal tool

Edited by essexboy

I usually tell VRDB to update its database immediately after installing Avast! so it gets done and I don't have to worry about for awhile. Also set VRDB to run while the computer is idle as I don't usually use screensavers. -kd5-

will lower settings and run tests again.

That $#@%^ symantec keeps popping up in my Zone alarm list? I thought I got it all? searching files/folders and onl 1 reference comes up((for the homepage)? I think they factor in a frustration level so you finally just break down and put in the new Norton :geezer:

Because the internet is such a dangerous place to be these days, and because my customers aren't the most security-minded individuals on the face of the planet, I usually set it to High... ;) -kd5-

I kind of like it when it schedules a boot time scan after install, gives me peace of mind knowing the computer is free of viruses. But 2 of them? Sounds a bit odd to me that it would take it upon itself to schedule a 2nd boot time scan unless perhaps it found something the first time around. But even then I've never had it want to schedule a 2nd scan on its own. -kd5-