Change Mode

New Slave, Hard disk help

Hi today I installed a new 250gb slave hard disk, bios recognises it fine and windows now recognises it but I cant use it as I cant format it, i've tried three times now it gets to 100% on the format then says windows was unable to complete the format. So it doesnt actually have any file system i.e like my original one is NTFS this one is RAW and then it doesnt show a size in my computer it is 0 bytes. Can anyone help me with what I need to do? This is the first time I have installed a hard drive, so its probebly something dumb. Thanks for any help.

Also if I try to double click it in my computer, you know to access the drive it says drive is not yet formatted, format now? and if I try again 100% then the unable thing. I have assinged a letter in device management, I havent partitioned it into more then 1 drive should I?

are you quick formatting or full formatting? also you may want to make it into 2 partitions, then try... i would do that in disk management: right click 'My Computer', manage, disk management..etc..

:)

Hi I'm not quick formating I am full, I have tried both though, both without success. I didnt get anything with the drive, just the drive itself so I dont have a dos utility. I did try partioning the drive but again it still failed to format,

I found this here,

http://linuxactivist.blogspot.com/2005/10/...ft-windows.html

But thats for formating a floppy disk but it seems very close to my problem? I havent tried any of that as I need to format it to NTFS? And not just wipe it I guess as at the moment it has no file system? Sorry if this isnt making much sense I havent done this before!

As stated by the other Members, I would have anticipated that you'd get a CD when you purchased the Hard Drive. The CD would be used to set up the Hard Drive.

You may find a downloadable version of a setup program at the Manufacturer's website that you can use for formatting, partitioning, migrating data or OS from the old Drive to the New, etc.

Let us know what you find. Or if you don't find anything, please specify brand and serial number of your new Hard Drive, so other Members who might be familiar can point you in the right direction to get the setup routine that may benefit you.

Best Regards

Ok well ive been looking on the net for a few hours now and found a few people with the same problem but never a solution!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/archive/in...hp/t-31485.html

That is identical to whats wrong for me.

The hard drive is a Hitachi Deskstar 250gb I found this support for it but nothing to download that would seem to help

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/t7k250/t7k250.htm

Im pretty much out of ideas now I read that maybe windows or my mother board couldnt handle the drive size so I tried partioning it into as little as 100mb! but still no luck it gets to 100% on the format then says "Windows was unable to complete the format"

have you tried formatting it from the xp cd??

FIRST, disconnect your main hard drive (so you don't accidentally format that one by mistake). then place the new drive in the spot on the ide ribbon where your main drive was. boot from the windows cd and go along just like your going to install xp. set up your partitions the way you like and proceed to format. after the formatting is complete....shut down the computer before windows starts its install. then place the main drive back to its original spot and place the newly formatted drive where it belongs.

remove the xp cd from the tray, restart and cross your fingers for luck. :)

:beer:

Edited by JackeL
  • 11 months later...

Hi Goldburger, I have exactly the same issue. I have a SATA card plugged into the PCI slot on the motherboard. I have not found a solution yet and I am contemplating returning the drive. I have tried:

- Hitachi Drive Fitness tool (on their website). difficult to use as you have to create a bootable floppy/cd. examined the drive and it reports no issues.

- Hitachi Drive features tool. Nothing obviously useful here.

- Partition Magic v8. Appears to complete the format but errors at the end with a not very useful error ("cannot complete format" or similar)

- Windows Computer Management, does not complete format

- Windows Explorer format "windows was unable to complete the format", as you have found.

I did successfully complete a FAT32 format and after restoring 200gb of data to it the data started to fail, long filenames were truncated with a ~ and then folders started to become unavailable. I stopped using it at that stage and decided that I would persue my original intenton of a NTFS format.

Other errors included 'invalid boot sector' so I will try and delete this now with the Hitachi Drive Fitness tool and see if that helps. If not, I will return the drive as I have spent about 18hrs on this so far and that is not good.

best of luck, Olly

did the pci sata card come with a driver?

invalid boot disk error could mean that it's not seeing the drive as a slaved drive

Yes, it is a Silicon Image SIL3512 Serial ATA card and I have it set up in non RAID mode. I have installed the latest firmware and drivers for this card. I have contacted Silicon Image and they have said they just make the chips and cannot be responsible for the card. I have checked the Hitachi web site and the drive is compatable with this card.

The drive is set up as a master drive on a single ATA wire (jumpers are as they left the factory).

thanks for suggestions

Olly

Edited by ollyevans

As stated by the other Members, I would have anticipated that you'd get a CD when you purchased the Hard Drive. The CD would be used to set up the Hard Drive.

You may find a downloadable version of a setup program at the Manufacturer's website that you can use for formatting, partitioning, migrating data or OS from the old Drive to the New, etc.

Let us know what you find. Or if you don't find anything, please specify brand and serial number of your new Hard Drive, so other Members who might be familiar can point you in the right direction to get the setup routine that may benefit you.

Best Regards

If its and OEM drive like mine then there is no CD, no instructions. But its all on the Hitachi website.