Change Mode

New computer graphics card - help needed

Mr Beaujangles

Hi folks, I'm buying a new computer soon and I'm in a quandry about what graphics card to go for in it. The choice is between:- 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT-TV-out + DVI-PCI-Express or - 2x 128MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT-DVI-SLI congiguration or - 256MB ATI Radeon X1800XL-PCI-Express with DVI & TV out? The processor isAMD Athalon 64X2Dual Core 4200 with HT tech.

Can anyone offer some tips and guidance to help me? The use it will be put to is the usual stuff plus digital photo editing, some camcorder editing and reasonably high end games play + anything else my sons choose to throw at it. :pullhair::lol:

beau B)

Addendum: Sorry but I forgot to say the MOBO is an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe if that helps at all. :blushing:

Edited by Mr Beaujangles

Hi Shadowfax, thanks for the response :lol: I think you are right about it being an opinion thing - but never found that to be a problem in the PIT before ;) The ATI is the one I have preference on I must admit but its been some time since I had to make a decision like this :blink: I've also been advised to NOT go for the AMD 4200s as the 3800s can be o/cd to the same spec very easily. Someone esle ahs advocated that if I can cough up the cash, the 4400s would be the best option to consider. :unsure: I think the card is decided now - does anyone have any opinions on the 4400s? :mrgreen:

beau B)

:funny:

Anyway. If you're comfortable with overclocking then go for the lower cpu and clock it to the higher speed. If uncomfortable, go with the faster and just run everything stock.

BTW, will be a real nice system when built.

:blushing: Ermmmm apologies for that ShadowfOx - the eyes are getting old these days!

Stormy13 - I think I'll go for the 4400s and keep them stock. Will let you know how I get on once I get it delivered. Happy new year to you too mate! :mrgreen:

Edited by Mr Beaujangles