Ip Address Problem

Guest t_grande

Guest t_grande

:help: I can't get one of my computers to release its IP address. It has windows XP and every time I go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" it won't release it. Does anyone know what might be the problem or how I might fix it. Please help me if you can.

Thanks

Do you have Cable or DSL?

If so then try to powercycle the cable/dsl modem

If you use a router, try to powercycle the router as well.

Also, most routers have a DHCP Release/Renew feature...you might want to look into that.

Guest t_grande

I have cable and I do use a router. this might be a stupid questions but what do you mean by powercycle?

Thanks aeroman10

Edited by t_grande

you can also make XP do the release. When you unplug the cable you will get a balloon window that says network cable unplugged. It just released. when you plug in the cable the balloon goes away, it just pulled a new IP address.

If he connects through a router it will only release his LAN IP.

To release the WAN IP you will need to release it from the router's config manager.

Guest t_grande

I got it fixed all I had to do was completely power down my network and cable modem when I reset everything it worked great. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone

Sometimes, when you lose sync with the modem, it is necessary to release and renew, thereby drawing a new IP. There are other reasons too, to connect to modem diagnostics sometimes you need to change your IP and subnet mask. Or for those of us with multiple connections, it is necessary when switching. Or....