Change Mode

Cpu temp problem :/

Ok, apparently the post didn't show up? I'll try again:

Hello, long time reader first time poster. (Forgot my old login :/)

I bring you a wierd cpu temperature problem.

System specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2

AMD Athlon 64 3200 + Venice core, with a supposed 1mb L2cash. running at 2.01 ghz.

Aopen nCK804a-LFS Socket 939 Link

1 gig (2x 512) DDR PC3200 A-Data Ram

Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 80 gig

Powercolor Radeon x850 XT 256mb

Soundblaster Live! 24-bit

Antec Smartpower 2.0 450W PSU

First, I say supposed 1mb l2 cash because it sais that nowhere except newegg where I bought it, not even on my PC end. Infact, I have about 4 little software utilities, (Aopen config, Sisoft sandra, even a CPUid program downloaded from amd.com) and they ALL report it as being 512... (Don't care too much, more about the temp issues.

I'm Idling at 58c, and can't get below it. (Reported by the BIOS and Speed fan)

Stock heatsink/fan. Recieved this temp with the stock thermal pad that came on the heatsink, obviously didn't like performance, so cleaned everything off properly and put on Arctic silver 5. No result.

Installed SP2, latest nForce 4 motherboard drivers, including the SMBus drivers, even installed drivers off the AMD site for the processor itsself.

Any help would be fantastic. I read on the Aopen forums another user having a similar problem, but no answers came of it.

If it's the simple fact that its not a hardware/driver/software issue I'll just buy a bigger fan :)

This pc was built by me, and funded by my father. I need it to work or this huge pile of oh my gosh guilt will be slapped into my lap, and I just can't have that. :P

Thanks,

Tony

Edit: Forgot to mention, SiSoft Sandra reports the cpu is receiving 2.3v when its only supposed to get 1.4-1.45 The Bios is set at 1.4v for the core, then mentions 1.2v for the Hyper Threading stuffs. (Rather poorly made bios imo, compared to others I've seen) Perhaps the heat is just due to too much power? I hope its an easy fix.

Edited by Tonezorz

Everest Sensor Data:

Field Value

Sensor Properties

Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)

GPU Sensor Type National LM63 (ATI-I2C 4Ch)

Temperatures

GPU 37 °C (99 °F)

GPU Ambient 39 °C (102 °F)

Seagate ST380817AS 34 °C (93 °F)

Voltage Values

CPU Core 1.44 V

Aux 3.23 V

+3.3 V 3.30 V

+5 V 4.87 V

+12 V 10.82 V

+5 V Standby 5.03 V

VBAT Battery 2.90 V

Debug Info F FF FF FF

Debug Info T 208 208 208

Debug Info V 99 CA CE B5 A9 1A 28 (01)

Nothiny about the cpu temp :/

Test Results: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=RDE80W4NTQCSNW1R

Edited by Tonezorz

Sounds like a problem with your temp sensor. Test link isn't working for me.

EDIT: Finally got your test to load. Click each of the tips in the yellow box and follow the instructions to fix those problems. The disabled device looks like something didn't get installed for your chipset drivers. Might want to run the setup from the motherboard cd again. It won't hurt anything you have installed. And might clear up the volt/temp issue.

Edited by dickster

Ok, apparently the post didn't show up? I'll try again:

Hello, long time reader first time poster. (Forgot my old login :/)

I bring you a wierd cpu temperature problem.

System specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2

AMD Athlon 64 3200 + Venice core, with a supposed 1mb L2cash. running at 2.01 ghz.

Aopen nCK804a-LFS Socket 939 Link

1 gig (2x 512) DDR PC3200 A-Data Ram

Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 80 gig

Powercolor Radeon x850 XT 256mb

Soundblaster Live! 24-bit

Antec Smartpower 2.0 450W PSU

If it's the simple fact that its not a hardware/driver/software issue I'll just buy a bigger fan :)

This pc was built by me, and funded by my father. I need it to work or this huge pile of oh my gosh guilt will be slapped into my lap, and I just can't have that. :P

Thanks,

Tony

Edit: Forgot to mention, SiSoft Sandra reports the cpu is receiving 2.3v when its only supposed to get 1.4-1.45 The Bios is set at 1.4v for the core, then mentions 1.2v for the Hyper Threading stuffs. (Rather poorly made bios imo, compared to others I've seen) Perhaps the heat is just due to too much power? I hope its an easy fix.

Have you opened the case and cleaned it all out, blown out the dust and possibly rerouted any blocking wires?

Do you have a tower intake and an exhaust fan, or just one?

Is the case out in the open with no vents blocked?

:geezer:

Hehe I built it last weekend, but no there is no dust, the side pannel is off, and there is 1 rear unblocked 12cm exhaust fan.

Cables are all well routed and out of the way.

Re-linked test results above to see if that link works, works for me :/

I'm assuming since the cpu didn't show up in the sensor section of that program that means the sensors bad?

Ok, ran the rest again with what I thought was the fix for that, but thats just the soundblaster that doesnt have its drivers installed.

I'll do that tomorrow and see if it clears anything up. If it does, that'l top the list for stupidest problem causer ever-ever, at least in my book.

I think it's time to pull the cpu and redo the Arctic Silver 5. Go slow and double check each step. Make sure the cpu seats evenly, and gets even pressure from the hold-down screws. As was mentioned, that should be a cool running cpu.

You really sure I should go through all that? I had the same temp results with the thermal pad that came on the heatsink, and I followed the instructions for the arctic silver perfectly.

Place small amount, 3/4 of a BB, lower heatsink straight down and mount.

:pullhair:

Well, something is causing it to run hot. Or the probe is faulity. Either way, you need to be able to monitor your temps to keep from burning up the cpu. So I would redo the A.C 5 first. If that doesn't work, I would contact the motherboard mfg about getting the board replaced.

What fans do you have installed in your case? When I had that problem it was the power supply not providing a steady 12v to the processor due to a cheap power supply and a failing motherboard. Also artic silver warns that full thermal protection doesn't kick in until after 200 hours.

I have to agree with Dickster. Pull the cooling fan, get out the arctic silver and try again. I had the same problem.....2 cpu's exactly the same, same spire fans,one running 145-150 degrees, the other running 100-110. I installed the spire fan a second time with no change, then reinstalled the old oem fan and dropped 20 degrees....Some fan/heatsink combos just dont match up with some boards i guess. This is the best guess i can give you, since mine is still running hotter than it should.