Sign in to follow this  
PORTHOS

Members

There are a lot of members here who always give good advice and help to other members. These people are not admins,mods or HJT advisors but are really good and precise about their help. Is there a way to make them "Trusted Members" or something like that and give them some reconition and thier own color. The wise staff around here know who these people are and can make that descision.

That might create some serious resentment/animosity on the part of the individuals who consider their advice just as good as any others, but aren't being recognized for it. Not so sure that would go over very well. -kd5-

That is very true and a possibility. The people im talking about would have a proven track record on this board, Kd, you would be on the top of the list if you were not already a moderator. And yes the list would be a bit long since there are many Quality members here.

I kinda agree with you Porthos.

It might be handy for an absolutely fresh new Member to be able to distinguish when they are receiving recommendations from a Member that is known to be consistently helpful.

A good example is a post you responded to today with a link to a direct download.

I am confident in your recommendations. But if that link had come from a noobe or a less thoughtful Member, it could be alarming.

In fact, there have been some pretty bright cookies who have joined and immediately started posting download links. I've raised H___ about that with them and with the staff. Sometimes it's a spam. Sometimes the links have been worthwhile. But how is a New Member to know?

In most cases, I object to direct-download links. But in your case, you clearly labeled it as such. And with the other information you wrote it was clear what you were recommending. I like that.

On the other hand, many of our most respected Members may prefer to remain low-key.

Actually, I find that posts from the most respected Members, including yourself, demonstrate that quality of authenticity without any additional fanfare needed.

Still, how is a very new Member to know or recognize this? Especially with some of the dancing cow and F-Disk This! Avatars.... Hard to take a dancing cow seriously, but the Doc knows what he's talking about when it comes to technical advice.

So I'm sitting on the fence with this one.

I'll bet this issue has been hashed around before.

Best Regards

Besides, who's gonna take advice from an ogre in a green suit and Santa Claus hat??? :santahat:

Seriously though, we had something similar discussed some time ago regarding a rating system. It was proven elsewhere that kids (adults, whoever) were voting for their buddys, not because of any actual expertise, but because they were buddies and it was a game to them. That would bring up the possibility of electing a committee who would then be trusted with the responsibility of member recognition, who would we elect to such a committee? Would the individuals in the committee be non-partisan? Do we really want to go there?

I still think it would create resentment amongst the members whose advice they felt were just as good as any other's. And if we try to satisfy everybody, we'll end up with 95% of our members with a "Trusted" symbol beside their usernames, then what's the point?.

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-

Most of us could easlily pick a "Blue Ribbon" committe to make those decisions.

But I doubt that it would be easy getting such people to take on the burden and grief they'd have to put up with.

It would be like putting a "kick me" or bullseye target on their back.

Still, the idea has merit. It just wouldn't be easy to impliment.

As usual you make a valid point KD.

I wouldnt want to make a popularity contest. Or want to burden a committee.

And the 95% would apply to those who actully HELP on the fourms and not just "Hang" in GD and chat (nothing wrong with that since thats what GD is for).

Our wise fourm staff "knows" who is who.

KD5.....Besides, who's gonna take advice from an ogre in a green suit and Santa Claus hat???

Hey, tell me about it. It's not easy being green... :mrsgreen:

Well, I don't know if it matters or not but I know that I don't need recognition. The few times that people do come back and say thanks is enough for me.

I see that if you did implement something, you might have to break it down by OS.

My pennies worth it's a nice idea but I'm afraid it would cause alot of hurt feelings :geezer: It's been a problem for new members to know who to listen to when it comes to advise but there is no easy solution or even a fully fair solution. The really great members have strong points and weak points when it comes to answers for problems giving them a special recognition would put pressure on them. Just my pennies worth :santahat:

(it ain't easy to be a mouse either greenie)

how bout you dont qualify for the blue ribbon until you have 1000 posts or similar method.and as far as rating system ,let the mods dish the points and it will be fair.or fairer (not a real werd)

how bout you dont qualify for the blue ribbon until you have 1000 posts or similar method.and as far as rating system ,let the mods dish the points and it will be fair.or fairer (not a real werd)

You can have 1000 posts bs'ing over in gd and not help anyone.

How about we leave it like it is. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Anyone receiving help that they deem exceptional or from any member they feel deserves accolades, they are free to do so. I have received many thanks both in PM, email, and the Pit. I don't feel the need to have a medal pinned on my chest.

hulks right but i was just trying to help.any time someone says thanx it is plenty.im sure no one here helps people just to get a ribbon.

Hey if it ain`t broke don`t try to go fixin it .

Edited by tw2

Hey if it ain`t broke don`t try to go fixin it .

Déjà Vu! But I agree :D

The_HAWK is an awesome member. He deserves recognition.

I Definately second that......

Also, lilbill is one of the best I know. He should be rewarded, also. :santahat:

Also, lilbill is one of the best I know. He should be rewarded, also. :santahat:

Here's your reward. :lol:

Posted Image

:o:ok: naughty naughty...

i dont suggest implementing any kind of specialness program. I know it sounds good but who can objectively decide who is "good" and who isnt?

A big thank you to all Pit members!

Whether you have been a help to someone with computer problems, discussed current events, or just made someone laugh, you are what makes the Pit the Pit.

Hats off to you all! :xmastree:

Reading the posts validate WHY my thought was WRONG. It wasnt about rewards,ribbons,cookies or anything else like that. Since only a few understood the WHOLE meaning its time to put this one to rest.

Closed by request of the thread originator. -kd5-