Change Mode

Hi,

I was thinking about buying this power supply: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1109233297979 as my fan is starting to grind a little and I don't want to make a major investment in the power supply.

The question is will this work with my system. The Intel PDF I have says the board is ATX 2.03 compliant. This is my PC: http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_desktop_180R.asp.

Thanks!

yes that psu should work fine. i have the 450watt version of that psu and its been rock solid for 4 months now :bananaxmas: are you sure its the psu fan that is grinding?

not positive but my heatsink fan is only a year old and my graphics card is only a few months old so I assume so. I need to try to figure it out for sure tomorrow evening.

Would the power supply fan be the fan that would make immediate noise upon startup of a PC? That is when something is making the most noise/grinding. It's been going away after the machine is up and running for a bit.

Maybe. Then again it could any fan that is in the computer. Best thing is to start the computer with the side off and see if you can pinpoint which fan is making the noise.

I have a VPR Matrix 2020, bought in June 2002. The PSU just died on it a month ago, so if yours is starting to get old, I would replace it anyway. Mine gave no warning before it died.

Thanks. For $20 I figured I might as well pick it up. That way I'll have on hand if the fan goes or if it dies altogether.

(this is kind of off topic) Speaking of the VPR, I have been pretty happy with the one I inherited when I moved in w/ my gf. Very good machines. Do you know if the newer models are of similar quality?