Change Mode

computer wont fire up

Guest paam

Hi, can any one offer advice?

I had two older computers both working fine, one was a old P1 and the other P3 (900mhz). I took the old HD out of the P1 (30G) and placed in the P3. Nothing else was changed. Now however when I try to fire up the P3 it load self test boot stage but when it tries to load Win XP it reboots. I have tried other HD in the P3 and no diff. Yet the 30G HD will boot up ok in old P1.

Any ideas?

I have tried to look for any warnings during boot up but it moves to quick to see any.

thanks

:unsure:

Hi Paam,

When you changed the HD into the P3 PC did you change the Jumper to make the Drive slave? If not do so.

Once done, you may come across a boot up menu because both HD's have operating systems on them. Just select one of them to continue.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi Paam,

When you changed the HD into the P3 PC did you change the Jumper to make the Drive slave? If not do so.

Once done, you may come across a boot up menu because both HD's have operating systems on them. Just select one of them to continue.

Hi Paam,

Hi thanks for the advice, but there is only the one HD. it came out of the P1 and into the P3. the jumper is set to Cable Select.

I think gordesky1 hit it. If you are using XP, you won't be able to use the OS on a different computer. The hardware is different and it will not boot. Your only option is to do re-install of the OS. What I am not sure of is if you can do this without reformatting. If you can, and I would try that first, you will not lose the data and settings of the previous installation. However, it is likely that a complete reinstall will be needed. You will also need to reactivate the OS with M$ so I do hope you own it and it is not installed on another PC.

Dawn