Sign in to follow this  
DK64_MASTER

Mom Makes Teen Stand on Street With Sign

I agree, if you work, contribute to society, pay your dues to society, you should be compensated when you're no longer able to do it anymore.

Man, I hate social services. They were called on me twice, because my neighbor was nosy, and thought I was being neglected. That's another reason parents are afraid to discipline their children, because them going to jail or having their kids taken away & put in a foster home is a simple call away.

Edited by brandon

edit: Then lillbill, if you grew up in my house, you'd get either a good smack on the backside and you'd get to it or you can go find somewhere else to live if you want to live by your rules.

You know what I usually see with parents like that? They think their parents are :filtered:, and they never talk with them again. What's the point of hitting? In the real world, people don't hit you. You have to learn how to take real discipline. You hit them, they hit other kids, you hit them again. There's a pattern. If anyone came at me with a paddle, I'd laugh at them. :lol:

You know what I usually see with parents like that? They think their parents are :filtered:, and they never talk with them again. What's the point of hitting? In the real world, people don't hit you. You have to learn how to take real discipline. You hit them, they hit other kids, you hit them again. There's a pattern. If anyone came at me with a paddle, I'd laugh at them. :lol:

How would you raise kids if you had them Bill?

I bet you'd give them a harsh talking :lol: "Son or daughter, I must say, you are acting most apallingly, could you please stop? If not, I'll get your mother on you, I'm not afraid to do it".

Case in point.

You think that because that is what you where told and now believe and will act in such a way. I was disciplined with a belt and a switch at times as where my siblings and friends I know and none of us go around hitting others because of it. In fact it caused to to respect our parents and their rules and I have great respect for my dad to this day. It is a lack of this discipline that see kids laugh at their parents and swear at them and assorted weird behaviour that further points to the failings of "modern" society.

edit: I had to correct a spelling error least my shortcommings from being disciplined as a child is exposed.

Edited by Intratech

My parents did it. They never hit me. Did I turn out a criminal because I didn't get smacked around? I'm pretty disciplined.

matter of opinion, you did punch a kid in the face and thought it was ok.

Uhhh, yeah, when he tried pushing my face into the ground. I punched him enough to know I meant business. A matter of opinion, didn't you break a guys wrist, hand, and arm when he messed with your girlfriend? It was self defense.

EDIT: The kid who I punched in the face I'm now friends with. ;)

Edited by lilbill08

His actions point to the failing to which I refer which resulted in your reaction. In my defence the guy had a knife and attempted to lodge it in my abdomen and he had friends with him.

Edit: BTW, I never stated that every kid needs a hiding inorder to be discipline. My sister has never had a hand laid on her and she is 18 yrs old now and quite respectful, polite and disciplined. The arguement is that parents no longer have this ability or right and it is detrimental.

Edited by Intratech

...And that kid was going to hit me unless I hit him. I prefer to keep my jaw intact, thanks.

My parents did it. They never hit me. Did I turn out a criminal because I didn't get smacked around? I'm pretty disciplined.

obviously none of this is 100% true but the % that need discipline are higher than those who do not.

If the kid has any shred of intelligence then they will realize that getting smacked on the :filtered: isn't a good feeling and they will stop gettings smacks. I was given spankings as a punishment when I was younger, the thing is that during my childhood I maybe recieved 3 spankings. I never got a timeout or anything like that, I was smart enough to realize that I was doing something bad and I would get a spanking so I better stop it.

Exactly.

edit: Woah! hold up, can they still smack kids in Canada?

Edited by Intratech

If the kid has any shred of intelligence then they will realize that getting smacked on the :filtered: isn't a good feeling and they will stop gettings smacks. I was given spankings as a punishment when I was younger, the thing is that during my childhood I maybe recieved 3 spankings. I never got a timeout or anything like that, I was smart enough to realize that I was doing something bad and I would get a spanking so I better stop it.

ditto ^

I think children need a little fear... there are many that certainly need to learn respect! I think respect and fear go hand in hand to a degree... So many of the younger generation here in Australia wouldn't know respect if it jumped up and bit them on the toosh... :geezer:

ditto ^

I think children need a little fear... there are many that certainly need to learn respect! I think respect and fear go hand in hand to a degree... So many of the younger generation here in Australia wouldn't know respect if it jumped up and bit them on the toosh... :geezer:

It's the same way here in the states.

Wow - I have never been beaten, and (without gloating) let me jsut say I turned out all right, with straight A's, never one referal, decent intelligence for a 13 year old, etc., etc.

I completly disagree with the kind of public humilation tactic employed by these parents. If anything, the kid will grow even more disgruntled and rebel in possibly violent ways. Certainly her "condition", if you wish to call it that, will not "improve", if you think that theres anything wrong with it now.

Lets put this in perspective: shes getting poor grades and acting up in school, right? Well, what is school? A manditory facility that, due to adult's laws, all children are required to attend and obey the every whim of their adult supervisors. Now for the perspective: imagine a really bad job, with the two primary differences that you a. didn't chose it, and b. can't leave it. Oh, and you don't get paid. And you have to go there for 7 hours a day. Would you be happy? Adults complain that they have to pay taxes that then then in turn decide, through voting, what to do with. Thats nothing in comparision to having to forfit a majority of your waking hours and having no say in its use.

But, even if what she's doing is "wrong", which for me is shacky ground, public humiliation will not cure it. And, yes, having to stand at a busy interesction with a cardboard sign is public humiliation, no matter which way you cut it. Work with her: why is she getting bad grades? Does she have some mediacl problem, like ADD? Can she not sleep at night? Is she being bullied? Is this school just not her fit - does she need some alternative school, since everyone learns in differnet ways? Are the teachers abusing her? And, most importantly, what can the parents do to fix it? Not punish her - fix the problem. No, the two are not the same.

Not sure, I usually don't read all the post especially from certain people but it seems as if you might have. Just don't know which way you might spin it next.

edit: Dayum, I post in a thread in GD and two Admins show up pronto. :blink:

edit: Actually 12, no you didn't. What is K-12? is that like higher education for dogs? :blink:

:mrgreen: Hey admins read threads too...

Think thats K-9 your yakkin tho... :lol: v

Wow - I have never been beaten, and (without gloating) let me jsut say I turned out all right, with straight A's, never one referal, decent intelligence for a 13 year old, etc., etc.

I completly disagree with the kind of public humilation tactic employed by these parents. If anything, the kid will grow even more disgruntled and rebel in possibly violent ways. Certainly her "condition", if you wish to call it that, will not "improve", if you think that theres anything wrong with it now.

Lets put this in perspective: shes getting poor grades and acting up in school, right? Well, what is school? A manditory facility that, due to adult's laws, all children are required to attend and obey the every whim of their adult supervisors. Now for the perspective: imagine a really bad job, with the two primary differences that you a. didn't chose it, and b. can't leave it. Oh, and you don't get paid. And you have to go there for 7 hours a day. Would you be happy? Adults complain that they have to pay taxes that then then in turn decide, through voting, what to do with. Thats nothing in comparision to having to forfit a majority of your waking hours and having no say in its use.

But, even if what she's doing is "wrong", which for me is shacky ground, public humiliation will not cure it. And, yes, having to stand at a busy interesction with a cardboard sign is public humiliation, no matter which way you cut it. Work with her: why is she getting bad grades? Does she have some mediacl problem, like ADD? Can she not sleep at night? Is she being bullied? Is this school just not her fit - does she need some alternative school, since everyone learns in differnet ways? Are the teachers abusing her? And, most importantly, what can the parents do to fix it? Not punish her - fix the problem. No, the two are not the same.

Not every kid is like you Kigoe. Some need to have some fear instilled in them if they do wrong, so they learn not to do that. Punishing them too much is bad, but if you find a balance, and praise them for doing good, they learn alot. I turned out alright (even though I slack off in school sometimes, I make up for it), and my dad used to hit me with wiffle bats, paddles, belts, his hands, and he didn't hesitate to ground me. He also gave me appraisal when I did good.

Having to hold a sign up is not public humiliation. I can speak on public humiliation, because it's happened to me, like when I got pantsed in junior high, got mulch stuffed in my underwear by a girl's sister right after she slapped me, and various other things that happened to me. I'd be glad to hold up a sign compared to some of the stuff I've gone through. If you have half a brain, you'd realize that if you don't do well in school, you could very well end up homeless.

Mom is a bright woman in my opinion.

When my son was in High School, he let things slide very badly, after attempting every possible thing we could think of to help him, and to make him realize how important his education was, he still wouldn't listen, and continued to procrastinate on assignments, late for school, not doing work.......(however he was never disrespectful).

Anyways, I figured I would try one last thing. I brought home the paperwork for him to quit school, signed sealed and delivered, along with it, I handed him the want adds, with all the minimum wage jobs circled, and highlighted, and also the apartment listings. I handed him these documents and papers, and said his dreams for the future were about to come true.

I walked away and let him ponder it for a while.

It took all of about 10 minutes for him to come to the realization that he was indeed headed for the corner with a work for food sign if his behavior continued.

He also knew for a fact that if he quit, and decided to bag groceries for a career, he would be looking for a new place to live.

He buckled down, grades improved and he graduated the following year.

Dad is a very serious person, and when he says something he means it. ;)

Sometimes a slap of reality, can go a long way. :geezer:

Edited by Bruce

When my son was in High School, he let things slide very badly, after attempting every possible thing we could think of to help him, and to make him realize how important his education was, he still wouldn't listen, and continued to procrastinate on assignments, late for school, not doing work.......(however he was never disrespectful).

Anyways, I figured I would try one last thing. I brought home the paperwork for him to quit school, signed sealed and delivered, along with it, I handed him the want adds, with all the minimum wage jobs circled, and highlighted, and also the apartment listings. I handed him these documents and papers, and said his dreams for the future were about to come true.

It took all of about 10 minutes for him to come to the realization that he was indeed headed for the corner with a work for food sign if his behavior continued.

He also knew for a fact that if he quit, and decided to bag groceries for a career, he would be looking for a new place to live.

Sometimes a slap of reality, can go a long way.  :geezer:

My dad threatened to do the same thing. That's a good way to get your point across. It worked wonders for me. Edited by brandon

He buckled down, grades improved and he graduated the following year.

Sometimes a slap of reality, can go a long way. :geezer:

I completly agree - and as your example demonstrates, a slap of reality does a whole lot more then a physical slap, or some other punishmnet. Did you punish your son? No, not at all - in fact, you did alot to help him. It didn't require public humiliation or beatings, and it worked.

Oh I didn't threaten him Brandon, I don't make threats.

I laid all the signed paperwork on the table, with the things he would obviously achieve and receive if he did quit.

It wasn't a threat, it was indeed reality.

For if he choose that route, he would have needed the want adds.

If you have half a brain, you'd realize that if you don't do well in school, you could very well end up homeless.

I would certainly not argue with that. However, I would argue with your, and this mom's, meathod of "encouragement". There are alot of good, productive ways of encouraging kids - punishments dont encourage.

Some need to have some fear instilled in them if they do wrong, so they learn not to do that.

I disagree. When you look at the world, and even our country, people who have had fear instilled in them arn't the ones succeeding. The Iraqis are pretty scared, I would imagine. So are most of the people who live in the ghettos. Are they the ones succeding? Nope - the CEOs living in the comphy mansions are, though. And do they fear alot? Not really.

I completly agree - and as your example demonstrates, a slap of reality does a whole lot more then a physical slap, or some other punishmnet. Did you punish your son? No, not at all - in fact, you did alot to help him. It didn't require public humiliation or beatings, and it worked.

Wished i had thought of the sign, because I would have made one up for him. :tup:

He also got a few slaps over the years, and also learned that any humilation he suffered because of his behaviour was something he brought onto himself.

Oh I didn't threaten him Brandon, I don't make threats.

I laid all the signed paperwork on the table, with the things he would obviously achieve and receive if he did quit.

It wasn't a threat, it was indeed reality.

For if he choose that route, he would have needed the want adds.

I know, you said you actually did it. My dad's not one to make threats either, but he usually leaves us alone, and lets us make our own mistakes. He rarely bails us out of anything unless it could really mess us up.

I think him letting us do our own thing is our best teacher, because we'll have to fix most of our own mistakes. It's not to the point of neglect, but then again, my brother and I are both adults, so we can raise ourselves, and he knows this.