Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeMerc

ZonedOut Final Release

Hi All:

IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut is now available as a general release:

ZonedOut Final Release

IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut contains a set of Internet Explorer "Restricted sites" lists for use with ZonedOut, a free Internet Explorer zone management utility available from FunkyToad:

ZonedOut

This Restricted sites list is the same as the "original" IE-SPYAD. The ZonedOut utility from FunkyToad simply automates the process of loading the IE-SPYAD sites list into Internet Explorer's Restricted sites zone. If you would prefer not to use ZonedOut, you can use the "original" IE-SPYAD list.

Note: Windows 2003 users should consult the ReadMe.txt for compatibility information:

Win2003 ReadMe

Users desiring to load a Restricted sites list into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Registry hive for all users on the PC should continue using the IE-SPYAD2 package:

IE-SPYAD2

Best,

Eric L. Howes

--

Microsoft MVP

Sunbelt Software Consultant

Spyware Warrior

Source:DSLR

Don't have the need for "ZonedOut" & besides I kind of like Spybots' protection or has it become one of those programs that doesn't do anything & has become useless according to TeMerc.

Known Issue (all versions) -If you have by chance "immunized" your computer with Spybot Search and Destroy, and use ZonedOut to "Remove All" restricted sites - ZonedOut will remove your trusted sites as well. Note that if you remove Spybot Search and Destroys Immunization the problem goes away...

All Versions - ZonedOut only manages IE Zones for the "Current User" - and not on a "Local Machine" Basis.

I'm noit sure what your implying when you say:

has it become one of those programs that doesn't do anything & has become useless according to TeMerc.

I'm simply offering another tool to manage your restrictesd sites, thats it. The note about Spybot is made by the author of the product, not me. Spybot Immunize feature is fine, but is limited to say the least. Does not mean its not worth using. As stated in the notation, if you use it, with ZonedOut, be aware of its affects, pretty straight forward there.

And with regards to CurrentUser and Local Machine, again, all thats doing is telling you how the application works. And if you want to protect more than one user on an XP box, you need to use IESPYAD2

So, to be clear, I'm offering information about a tool which I feel some users may find helpful in regards to manging these sites that is all.

Up to you to decide if you need it, and its quite apparant you don't.

And further more, I don't really like the implication that I have dismissed Spybot in any way, as I have not.

I can only surmise you are referring to my post about CWShreder, which is based on on what I have found to be around the security forums. Please, if you have information to change my opinion I'd love to hear it, with links oif course.

From my dealings with CWS domains, and infected computers, I've never seen CWShredder work by it's self. I usually takes more than one tool to get rid of it.

Well, you dismissed CWS out of hand as being useless. What is so different about the program you are now endorsing? ;)

I dismiss Shredder as useless based on the fact that no one uses it effectively any more. I didn't just decide out of the blue.

Having done my share of HJT logs the tool is rarely recommended any more. I did a Google search about a month ago, and the last times it was used to remove any variants of CWSI was about June-July, just after Intermute bought it from Merijn. Matter of fact, I used it a few times.

What I meant for a link was a link somewhere in any security forum where it has been demostrated to remove an infection, not some link to a freeware site. Which BTW, has not even bothered to update the current version, presently at 2.19. And I don't ever take to heart any 'reviews' posted on such sites, lord knows they can be 'fixed' and 'padded'.

So, try again sir to show me where the tool is used to clean CWSI variants on a users machine. I'd be thrilled if it was effective, but at this point, its merely window dressing for whomever owns it, the big name to have due to its previous reputation and upgrading by Merijn.

And again, it seems your misssing the point of my posting about ZonedOut. I did not extoll its excellent abilities or say everyone needs to use it. I have not reviewed it in any way, shape, manner or form. I was posting information regarding a tool which I think could be useful in making management of those sites easier. I rarely post info about tools unless I thnk them useful. Lord knows there are tons of tools out there.

BTW, ZonedOut has been in beta for a couple of months, and I have not posted it because I do not recommend beta apps to anyone, ever, regardless of who makes it.

Evidently I am out-gunned in this thread. ;)

So be it! I have more things to do than scour security forums looking for someone who uses CWS.

I too, Sir, have used HJT & read logs, but not on this Site. As I said, I have too many other things to do.

So, if no one objects, I will continue to use CWS on my own systems.

Not a problem with me Hawk :lol:

Thanks Jacee. :mrgreen:

So, if no one objects, I will continue to use CWS on my own systems.

I OBJECT!

You are high handed, immoral, and fattening. So I OBJECT!!!

:rofl2: :beer:

I am jsut kidding ya Hawk. I use CWS also (among LOTS of other apps)

Peace out brother

:crash:

Well, thanks loads bfvmg. ;)

Nice to see there are still some friends around. :lol:

Regards,

Hawk :coffee:

Hey, who put that in there? Where's the two :beer: mugs?