Change Mode

87 firebird think we found the problem.

gordesky1

Very well could be. Just looking at the picture I see one vacuum line going to it. Check that, make sure theres no cracks in that line. If the EGR is loose (IE you can tap it and it moves) then find a way to bolt it back down again, because it can also leak out the bottom (big culprit for vac leak)

good luck fixing it.

Bah... Block it off -- EGR Valve is useless... Plays such a SMAAAALLL part in emisions it's more a pain than anything.

If you're car is equipped with and OBD system which I doubt because of the year, then you sdhould have nothing to worry about. If you do have a sensor monitoring the valve, then find the resistance of the egr valve, and solder a resister in place and be done with it.

I don't think they've even put an EGR Valve on a car in the last 5 or 6 years.

None-The-Less -- Check those vaccuum leaks.spray some lightly soapy water around and look for bubbles.

: all4sma :

update;; we took it too get the tools too get it off the guy took it off. than we tried too start it. it started but keep stalling and was real noisey. so we had too put it back on and order one from a part store than when we was siting in the lot the arterlater hose busted:( started smokeing they didint have that at the store either so we had too order it. and we had too drove the car home like that:( i update you when we get the parts. so far it is the egr doing all the problems. because when he took it off and put it back on it was even bader. seems like we have real bad luck with everything:(

When you took it off, you blocked it off right? If you just take it off and leave it, you're going to have problems.

Yup, if you didn't block it off (as in air tight) then you're gonna have a problem... A MAJOR air leak. ;)

I have had the EGR Valve blocked off on my current daily driver for over a year now, and it works perfect.

:: Not to mention the intake is cleaner since the EGR Valve would allow gunk to get into it, and sludge things up.

Blocked it off on a couple other cars in the past also, and they all ran great. Just make sure when yo block it off, it's air tight.

I have also gone through emmisions and passed w/o the slightest bit of trouble.

well today we got the new one and put it on first my dad said it was stalling out the first time he started it up. but now when he started it up the 2nd time it runs real stong he said and alots of power and doesint pop:) so far it fixed all the problems:) and it doesint rev up and down like it used too:).

w00t!

Now check out everything else... Preventative maintenance is key.

Check all the hoses -- Make sure there are none are really brittle, or broken, make sure nothing is rusted off (or will be), make sure connections are tight, etc...

This way you won't have to go through what you just went through with the EGR Valve again.

Archived