Sign in to follow this  
shotrock

SpywareGuard

I was told to leave SG running..that it would catch spyware "at the gate", but everytime I run Ad-Aware, it finds the exact same bugs everytime, without fail. What good does SpywareGuard do anyway?

If you ever doubt that SpywareGuard is working, just try changing your homepage in IE. It will pop up and ask you if you want to allow the change.

SpywareGaurd is watching for things that try to take over certain parts of your computer and if you don't see it doing anything it means you are not being infected with the stuff it is protecting you from.

The things Ad-aware is finding on your system are probably just MRU's (Most Recently Used) lists that Windows recreates every time you use the program that they relate to. These are not bugs, they are just index files Windows uses to keep track of what a program is doing. These MRU's are not spyware.

If there is one programme that should be compulsory on a pc, it is SpywareBlaster, just remember to keep it updated.

Another that i find useful is RegProt

Blocker and cleaner MS Windows AntiSpyware

Most folk will suggest malware removers, i prefer the malware blockers, it's been a few years since i've had any malware/virus problems, lucky? I think not as i have a habit of testing new security programmes. B)

I was told to leave SG running..that it would catch spyware "at the gate", but everytime I run Ad-Aware, it finds the exact same bugs everytime, without fail.  What good does SpywareGuard do anyway?

OK the only thing that SG is going to find is any homepage changes, thats about it.

That seems to be its forte'. Just that alone is worth its weight in gold, if you do any 'off the beaten path' surfing.

Yes there are other apps which offer this kind of protection too, tho some come with heftier CPU numbers.

In so far as Adaware finding the same things, what kind of things are you talkling about? Cookies? Dataminers? MRUs?

All the above listed are for the most part minor items in relation to other nasties.

SpywareBlaster doesn't "run" in the background. Once you've installed and updated it, all you have to do is click on "enable all protection" and it automatically does it's wonders. ;)

What other ones do you have "running?"

with regards

I have AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol, as well as SpywareGuard. I had Spyware Blaster installed a while back, but was told SpywareGuard was better, by somebody from this Forum. By the way, I ran Ad-Aware again this morning and there were 15 bugs there. All were DataMiner Cookie trackers, so SG let that many through in just one day!

i couldnt tell you the last time there was an update for SpywareGuard ! i have version 2.2 , surely it must be getting dated if its definition date is 22nd jan 04

I have AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol, as well as SpywareGuard.  I had Spyware Blaster installed a while back, but was told SpywareGuard was better, by somebody from this Forum.  By the way, I ran Ad-Aware again this morning and there were 15 bugs there.  All were DataMiner Cookie trackers, so SG let that many through in just one day!

SpywarrGuard and SpywareBlaster are two entirely different applications. They work nicely running together to protect against a several types of threats.

SG will not stop such things as dataminers and tracking cookies. You need to read up on those apps to see what they will actually do and what threats they help protect you from.

Keep in mind, there is no single app out there to protect you against everything.

Ad-Aware and Spybot do not run "in the background." They only run when you tell 'em to scan (unless you pay for Ad-Aware or have tea-timer enabled).

Like TeMerc said, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard do not do the same things. SpywareGuard stops Internet Explorer from being hijacked, and SpywareBlaster prevents malicious ActiveX controls and cookies. They compliment each other quite well. :)

Because of it's nature, SpywareGuard does not need updating. This does not mean it's not doing anything. :)

with regards

Shotrock, did you follow the link I suggested?

rhamton.....yes I did read most of that first page, and it seems as if I have everything in place already to prevent what I keep getting when I run Ad-Aware, except I guess I will try Spyware Blaster again, and shutdown Pest Patrol, even though its one that wasnt cheap.

I wouldnt be so concerned, except that when I delete all those bugs on Ad-Aware, my PC seems to run more efficiently, but I must do it every day.

rhamton.....yes I did read most of that first page, and it seems as if I have everything in place already to prevent what I keep getting when I run Ad-Aware, except I guess I will try Spyware Blaster again, and shutdown Pest Patrol, even though its one that wasnt cheap.

I wouldnt be so concerned, except that when I delete all those bugs on Ad-Aware, my PC seems to run more efficiently, but I must do it every day.

OK...I reinstalled SpywareBlaster, and now Ad-Aware is finding more bugs than ever! I used to average 4 or 5 when I ran the scan, now its more like 12 to 17 every time! I did disengage Pest Patrol so if it was of any benefit, I dont know. I guess I can try running SB and PP simultaneously, but that seems almost like overkill.

Remember to update SpywareBlaster and then click on enable all protection in the main window, or else it won't do anything. :)

with regards

OK...I will do that, however, whenever I click on its icon, and it loads on the screen, it indicates with a statement and a progress bar that it is "enablilng all protection" anyway. I also just ran Spybot, and it had to clear 4 bugs (HitBox, MediaPlex, CoreMetrics, etc).....the same ones that end up in Ad-Aware, in spite of SpywareBlaster. It seems to have become worse also, since I switched to a cable modem. They all seem to be Data Miners.