Change Mode

kids computer for Xmas

Hey guys long time no chat......im looking to buy some PC parts for my kiddo at Xmas, hes 8 years old, but pretty smart around a PC.

right now he will game and surf on my PC, but I think it would be fun to build one together.

I Dont want it too expensive. infact the cheaper the better. like I have a PSU and a small 8 gig HD. and i might have some ram laying around.

I really want a AMD system for him, since thats what I liek and I want to push it on him LOL

www.canadacomputers.com is where I shop, since it is close buy.

but now to the question, is it worth buying a socket 754 anymore?? they are so freakin cheap, it just scream buy a 754 mobo and a AMD Sempron processor.

what ya think?

Kenny, I build lots of of 754 systems still, especially for young kids getting into gaming. Just make sure you buy a decent video card now, this will save you lots of greif later on when he's playen more graphic demanding games. :)

Just stay away from the Sempron 2500+, I have had some trouble with them and always end up upgrading them to the 2800+.

X_C

i dont think you need anythig flash just the basics that do the job. i wouldnt even bother with upgradability as by the time he actualy cares how great the games look we wont be using amd939 pin or pci-ex16 and probably not standard ddr1 as over the next 4 years by the time he is 12ish and likely to care all of these will be fazed out.

amd unoficialy now suport ddr2 and ddr2 latencys are coming down.

pci-e2 is alreaddy in the works.

the amd socket 1024? (or something like that) is due about 2007

im sure he wont be too bothered about eye candy and high screen rez. so i would sugest something able to play most of the games now at lower settings. spend most of your money on a gfx card say a x800xl/6600gt. cpu really doesnt mean a lot to games. neither does quality memory. so a cheep 1gb stick of ddr.

just my thoughts :)

i dont think you need anythig flash just the basics that do the job. i wouldnt even bother with upgradability as by the time he actualy cares how great the games look we wont be using amd939 pin or pci-ex16 and probably not standard ddr1 as over the next 4 years by the time he is 12ish and likely to care all of these will be fazed out.

amd unoficialy now suport ddr2 and ddr2 latencys are coming down.

pci-e2 is alreaddy in the works.

the amd socket 1024? (or something like that) is due about 2007

im sure he wont be too bothered about eye candy and high screen rez. so i would sugest something able to play most of the games now at lower settings. spend most of your money on a gfx card say a x800xl/6600gt. cpu really doesnt mean a lot to games. neither does quality memory. so a cheep 1gb stick of ddr.

just my thoughts

that makes sense :beer:

thanks guys, with the price of the 754's its hard to pass up...I do love my 6600GT, plays all the games. and with the surge of PCI-E i can pick up damn good GFX's for under 200. i think t is the way to go for him

as always, thanks guys