hi there

Tried to dual boot XP and Mandrake Linux on my 160 gig hdd, when I tried to boot after install I got an error L 99 99 99 99 99. Used XP to install disk and did the FIXMBR, but then when I try boot I get an error saying unable to find boot media please install boot disk...or something to that effect. Any ideas?

Not really interested in Linux anymore, this is about my 6th unsuccessful attempt at intalling, Slackware and Mandrake and got same error, I just want to get to my data on the XP partition. Loaded XP on a 20 gig but can't see the 160 gig XP partition. When I used the XP cd is shows the 160 gig XP partition as type OS2.

I've deleted the Linux partitions now.

Any idea, I really don't to lose the data on the 160 gig.

Go into bios then set it to boot from the CDROM and try a bootable CD, like Knoppix. If that works, then the boot sector or boot loader may be corrupted, and he will need to fix it. Booting from the install CD into the recovery console and typing FIXMBR, followed by FIXBOOT, may work. Otherwise, a repair install may be needed: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Had already tried the FIXMBR, didn't work for me, it says the FIXMBR has been done but when I reboot it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE". Just tried FIXBOOT and it gives me "FIXBOOT cannot find the system drive or the drive specified is not valid", strange seeing as I had just slected it out of a list of available drives in order to do the FIXMBR

Will try the repair install and let you know how it goes.

Ther rerp;air will not work as your XP partition is no-longer a FAT32 or NTFS partition. Your only hope will be trying to load Knoppix or tghe like from your CD Rom drive. In the future....before making changes to ypur operating system it is highly recommended that you back-up critical files prior to making alterations.

Starting to panic. Tried the repair install, got to where it asks you which drive you would like to install win XP, the options were as follows:

C:/PARTITION1 (INACTIVE(OS/2 BOOT MAN131062 MB (95519 MB FREE)))

which is the where all my data is. So I select this drive, it tells me it's unable to install on this drive as the drive is not recognised.

Any idea? Please tell somebody out there has an idea?

Ther rerp;air will not work as your XP partition is no-longer a FAT32 or NTFS partition. Your only hope will be trying to load Knoppix or tghe like from your CD Rom drive. In the future....before making changes to ypur operating system it is highly recommended that you back-up critical files prior to making alterations.

Where can I get hold of Knoppix? What do I do with it once I have it? Will I be able to use it to get the windows parittion booting, or will I just be able to get my data off the disk?

Matt,

You might have a little more luck if you make a post in the Linux Forum section briefly describing your problem and then point them (link) to this thread so they can answer here. Don't double post, please.

There are people in that forum who probably have had the same problem and would recognize the error messages you are getting and be able to help.

:)

Thanks, I did as you suggested.

I know it seems silly for me not to have backed up, but somebody who was a self proclaimed expert offered his help this time round and was so confident it would boot first time and there was nothing to worry about, I learnt a valuable lesson there.