Sign in to follow this  
Guest smudge76

Sound Card

Guest smudge76

I have a sound card attached and because drive c was formatted there is no sound. I dont have any drivers for the card and dont know what the make is. Is there anyway of finding what make and drivers i need. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it a separate sound card, or sound on the motherboard??what os are u using, and try looking first in device manager, and if no info, u could look physically at the card and there should be something on it.

Guest smudge76

it is a sepperate sound card and the os is win 98 se, looked in device manager and nothing come up for midi etc, when looking at the card there are only numbers on there. Just looked at the card and it says wavetable EPC C933D840 Ver 4.0

Edited by smudge76

Smiles :)

At the risk of being a bore about it. Please look at System Properties/Device Manager again. The device in question will be brought to your attention with an exclamation mark. The information following that exclamation mark may be useful even if it appears to be rather cryptic. Another place to look; occasionally there may be some useful information in the Properties window of the "exclaimed" device.

Also, something that has worked for me (one does this from System Properties/Device Manager/Properties) update the driver of the "exclaimed" device and choose to select your own. Then pick a generic driver that you suspect will work. You may have to try a couple different generic drivers to get one that the system will install. Also, in this situation I have had the message telling me it won't install the driver I pick yet it still does.

After installation of a generic driver Windows may be able to provide more information about the device when looking at System Properties/Device Manager. After doing this I would also go to Windows Update. Every now and then Windows Update sees a device after a driver has been installed which is not the best for it and will happily inform you of it and provide you a download for the best driver.

Good luck and have a nice day

David