Change Mode

I got alittle bored today...So I..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I picked it up at a gun show of all places.

There was a guy there that had nothin but buffing and polishing compounds.

I ask him what he thought was best for polishing metals and he suggested it to me.Im glad he did too.

Ive tried Mothers,Maguires etc...

BlueMagic works the best.

You can get it online but I dont know of a local place that sells it.

Actually I picked it up at a gun show of all places.

There was a guy there that had nothin but buffing and polishing compounds.

I ask him what he thought was best for polishing metals and he suggested it to me.Im glad he did too.

Ive tried Mothers,Maguires etc...

BlueMagic works the best.

You can get it online but I dont know of a local place that sells it.

I might have to try that but it will be pain in the butt to take the liquid cooling out of the processor and shine the processor. I will still do it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

well i took a trip to bodyshop and hardware store

got sand paper some angle iron to keep flat

and some metal polish

i have a few old cpu`s

gonna start with amd 2800+ sempron 754

hey coolman pm me i have a idea!!!!

• 2 months later...

OK sorry to bring this back up again, but I think I've finally found a source for some wet & dry, as soon as you go over 1200 here it is very hard to find in local stores, but I think I've found some on eBay now, just waiting to see if they can help or not, but a quick question on the polish, not sure if any of you know it but would Autosol be any good for this ?

Well Autosol is a fantastic bit of kit when it comes to cars, it brings chrome up brilliantly, even if it has rust on it, obviously if the rust has pitted the metal it can't get rid of that, but it will make it look much better, just wanted to see if anyone knew if it would be good here or not.

i got mine from ebay... if i can find the link....

i got

400 x 8 half sheets

800 x 8 half sheets

1200 x 9 half sheets = 25

all for £8.40 inc delivery, and the guy also does up to 2000 grit now, so might be a good idea to ask if he can sort you out ;)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CHASE-SUPPLIES

sorry if ebay links are prohibited.....

but if you look at his main page, he does have some up to 2000grit.

tbh. i didnt find any use going above 1200...

but you do get a slightly better mirror finish. but no temp imporvements

Yes that is the one I found when I posted here, he is already looking into 2500 for me, I have also found one more who already does 2500 as well, but Ive also sent a query to the UK section of the link someone gave in here to see if they would sell to an individual as it looks like extremely high quality, Thanks for the thought though, it's just checking if anyone knows about the polish or not.

OK sorry to bring this back up again, but I think I've finally found a source for some wet & dry, as soon as you go over 1200 here it is very hard to find in local stores, but I think I've found some on eBay now, just waiting to see if they can help or not, but a quick question on the polish, not sure if any of you know it but would Autosol be any good for this ?

Well, I can't get in, says they're being "updated" but I'd say if it does chrome really well it should be good on copper as well. Just my $.02

:geezer:

Yeah it's been like that since I found they had their own site, to start with I was simply searching for some reference to show people who didn't know it what it was like, and it's been like that since.

But yes it is fantastic for chrome bumpers etc, it's what it's made for, it will even lift surface rust, albeit the metal underneath being pitted if it was left to long without attention by the way rust eats into it, longer rust is left the worse it gets, but catch it soon then it's easily removed without signs of it being there.

I was more worried if there was something in it's compound that may not go well or something, but it seems from what you've said it should be fine, Thanks for that. :b33r:

I have no doubts over it's quality as a polish, it will do copper fine, the bit I guess I was concerned about was incase there was a reason not to use it, maybe an ingredient in the compound that would be bad for a CPU or something along those lines, but if that makes no difference then I'll give it a go, Thanks for the advice. :b33r:

• 6 months later...

just an update to this thread....

i'm doing this this week and i was able to pickup 1000-2500 wet/dry at the sears hardware in town here.

I start at 220 grit to get to the copper, then go to 500, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000 then 2500. It might take years if you start at 1000 drit. :P

well, i'm starting at 250, but i couldn't find lower than 1000 wet stuff anywhere

you dont need the wet/dry stuff for your CPU. Keep it dry. I dont think the HSF needs water either, I did it dry and it was fine.

And Burned-Ati, It is really worth it. Dropped my Q6600 temp down 4c. Load was better. Do your Heatsink and CPU at the same time.

Basically you are polishing it so they touch each other better and keep less gaps for air and trash to hide in. Thats why Thermal paste is a must for every system, it basically filles the gaps.