Change Mode

I got alittle bored today...So I..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know what AMD does to "coat" the heatspeader?

It looks like they anodized it (but that can only be done to Aluminum not Copper that I know of)but it also looks like they used the coating to level/flatten the the base copper heatspeader (see my first pic).This coating is also under the spreader not just the top.

I know they wouldnt try and powder coat it.That would take lots of heat to cure the coating and that would also take a chance at warping the copper?

Its tough stuff that I do know.I would be interested in knowing what it was and the process they use.

• 6 months later...

looks great :D maybe you'll start a trend at AMD :lol:

out of interest, why didnt you just remove the heatspreader?

AMD made it alot harder to do.With the first 754s and 939s they didnt bond the heatspeader to the silcon with epoxy.Now you have to be VERY careful not to damge the CPU.Besides that my XP-90c wont work on the CPU without the heatspreader.....

looks great :D maybe you'll start a trend at AMD :lol:

out of interest, why didnt you just remove the heatspreader?

Too riskey IMO

I have seen all kinds of people killing chips like that. Even if you don't screw it up taken the cover off, you could screw it up when you go to put your heatsink on. Especially if you are using something that clamps down. I mean, even the most confident modder would have to be a bit nervous about undressing a 3800 that can run at an upwards of 3GHz......

hey onecoool

awesome job, boy thats a nice shine. You got some talent, biiiig talent lol.

Onecoool ur so coool, coz' you did a nice job that also looks cooool :P

have fun, oh!! if you get bored again, my opty is waiting for the shine :lol:

so you used the sandpaper to blast away the grey finish that's on the cpu????? never knew that was cooper uner there.

Every AMD A64 cpu made with a heatspreader (from 754 up)

is made of 100% copper ..why they hide that with that "gray coating" I dont know :yucky:

Shouldnt everyone do that to the cooler heatsink first?

Thats the part thats not too flat.

The question is why doesnt the manufacturer of the heatsink do it in the first place?

money

money

money

There not going to give you AS-5 with a new heatsink....the "white goop" won the contract :tup:

Edited by OneCool

• 10 months later...

So I've got all the nasty "gray" off down to the copper, now for the 2000 grit. Still using the circular motion? Or one directional......>?

edit: oh, I see. One directional, helpful if you read each word on the first post caintry........:lol:

Edited by caintry_boy

• 2 weeks later...