Change Mode

I read Langalists latest issue and decided it was time to try some of these registry cleaning tools on my XP machine. Starts have been miserably slow on it lately. I tried Easy Clean first because it was free, but I couldn't find anything that would help me to determine what I could delete safely in the registry finds list. Even the duplicate file thingy helped little to determine what I could get rid of. Now I am trying out RegSupreme from Macecraft, which is quite cheap and I have a 30 day trial on it. Any ideas out there on these tools.

I read Fred Langa's recommendations for registry cleaners. It was a very worthwhile survey. Nevertheless, you assume some real risks when you tinker with the registry. If you are not completely confident of things that you are deleting you can quickly convert your computer to a doorstop.

Concerning duplicate files - Once again caution! Many programs place required files in the system folder others may place the same file in the "program files"folder. So, you have duplicate files. But when each of these programs goes looking for the required file it will look where it originally placed it. If you have removed it as a duplicate the program will not run.

I'm not saying that you can't clean the registry or remove duplicate files but you must exercise caution.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

One of the safest Reg Cleaners. Microsofts own Reg Clean.

Not a strong program, it deletes only things it knows aren't

right, after making a backup.

You can get it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download458.html

If you can find the Original Reg cleaner from JV16, I always like it

the best. I have had some problems getting it to operate with XP-SP2

though. Usually works if you run it compatible with 98/me settting.

I guess I'll have to find a new (free) one soon. Geez, nothing that

works last long.

:)

One of the safest Reg Cleaners. Microsofts own Reg Clean.

Not a strong program, it deletes only things it knows aren't

right, after making a backup.

You can get it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download458.html

If you can find the Original Reg cleaner from JV16, I always like it

the best. I have had some problems getting it to operate with XP-SP2

though. Usually works if you run it compatible with 98/me settting.

I guess I'll have to find a new (free) one soon. Geez, nothing that

works last long.

:)

Thanks all for the input. The RegSupreme from Macecraft is the same place as you get JV16. I have the 30 day free trial on it, and it seems to be for dummies like myself. To register it is only $12.95.

last freeware version of jv16....

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/

i have used it for years and have never had a problem. i have used it without issues on sp2 machines.

do not update that version as it will be a shareware version that your upgrading to.

also on that page is "regcleaner". made by the same author as jv16. not as thorough as jv16, but very simple to use.

as with any registry cleaner.....be very careful and backup before using! stay away from any duplicate file cleaning tools included!!

:beer:

Sombody on the pit recommended the macecraft Regsupreme last last spring and I tried the 30 day trial. I was really apprehensive when I cleaned the registry the first time. It found over a thousand errors and when I cleaned it, there was a really noticiable improvement in the way my computer functioned. Faster and snappier.

I tried the Reg Supreme Pro for 30 days and liked it even better, but when I tried the 30 dollar program I thought it was too complex and wanted to keep it simple, so I bought the Pro model for about 20 bucks, and I think it is money well spent.

I have used it for about six months now and am confident that it will not ruin my computer. I refer it to my friends who have XP, but Langa says..........

Microsoft made several half-hearted attempts at

improving Regclean over several years, but Windows ME was then in the

works, and its registry was different enough from the earlier Win9x

family to require that Registry tools work differently; and Windows

NT/2000/XP required wholly different software.

And I do not know if it will work on friends computers that have Win98. So I fear refering it to them. I wouldn't want anybody turning their computer into a door stop because of my advice. :)

Does anybody know for sure if it will work on win 9x operating systems?

Edited by crescent

I've been using RegCleaner and Macecraft's RegSupreme on 98SE and Win2k machines for years with no problems whatsoever. I let each of them correct everything they find.

The way I use a computer, frequent loading and unloading of applications, means I'm dependent on RegSupreme to keep it running. I run it several times a day.

RegSupreme does a safer and better job but RegCleaner, on 98SE, gives a very useful list of 'old' entries and more user control so I run both.

P.S. I've never used a Microsoft reg. cleaner and I don't intend to.

Edited by moon

Hey Moon, thanks for your reply,

Thats what I wanted to know,

I've been using RegCleaner and Macecraft's RegSupreme on 98SE and Win2k machines for years with no problems whatsoever.

I used RegCleaner for a couple of years, but what you like about it, is what I did not like. User control. I fear becoming over confident and screwing up my machine, but I do not have your expertise. I have been reading your posts for several years and I value your opinion.

I have a friend with an old computer that is running slow. I helped him clean it up concerning virus and spyware, (he had a bunch) but I think cleaning out his registry will help. He has win98SE and years of old stuff in there bogging him down.

Thanks to you I am no longer afraid to tell him to try RegSupreme on his computer. I will let you know if it helps.

Thanks again, Moon

:cheers:

I used RegCleaner for a couple of years, but what you like about it, is what I did not like. User control. I fear becoming over confident and screwing up my machine, but I do not have your expertise. I have been reading your posts for several years and I value your opinion.

Thanks, crescent, but if there's any value in my opinion at all it lies in the fact that it's NOT expert. My idea of 'user control' is to be able to look at the list of entries in RegCleaner and know that Mavis Beacon's Typing Course is no longer a requirement. :lol:

Thanks for the confidence boost though, no worries. :)