Sign in to follow this  
Champion_Munch

Advanced WindowsCare

One thing it has done to me that I don't particularly like is this: say for example I click on My Picture in my Start menu [i'm using WXP] - when the folder comes up, if I try to move it, it doesn't move, instead, a square outline on the folder appears. You move that to where you want it and then the folder then appears there. It's the same with jpegs and video files, you just get the outline rather than the whole thing moving.

A minor problem, but I really hate it. :P If anyone knows what I mean (God I hope so) is there a way to change that?

Other that that, I can't really see any problems, but if I ran it again, I wouldn't optimise again - just repair.

SuicideToast:

Right-click My Computer. Go to Advanced, then Performance Settings. Click the box for "show window contents while dragging".

It did that to mine too. It took away my mouse shadow and menu shadows too which can be put back in the relevant boxes from the area I described.

Those were 3 examples of "optimizations" it did without telling me exactly what it would do in advance. This software making my page file over 4 times as big was too strange and drastic so I put it back to what it was before.

Yay! Thanks, muchado, much appreciated. Funny thing is, all the boxes were already ticked, so I unticked it - ticked it again and hit apply - all is well. I'm going to untick and then retick all the boxes again now. Thanks again. :)

Qucik edit: just ran the software again after re-ticking all the boxes - now it says 'font smoothing' is not optimal. I think I can live without it.

Edited by SuicideToast

You can restore it.

http://www.iobit.com/WindowsCare.htm#Online%20Help

About Restoration

·        Advanced WindowsCare provides two methods for rolling back:  Restore to Windows Defaults or Restore to Your Own Previous Settings (i.e., the settings before the first time you used Advanced WindowsCare).

·        On some computers with lots of software, the restoration process will take a little longer time. Wait patiently if the progress bar seems to freeze.

Damn, I wish I had noticed that before. :thud:

edit:

another note , after I had the problem with AWC and did a major repair, I noticed when updating at Microsoft I had to update 34 different things. I realise 8 were new today . I was just curious if this happened to anyone else that did or did not have a problem with AWC. :unsure:

Edited by mrdithers

My paging file... 'thing' is set at 1537Mb, the minimum is 2Mb and the recommended allocation is 765Mb. I have no idea if it is always like this, or as muchado has experienced, it was changed by this software. Should I lower it do you think?

Haven't noticed any appreciable increase in performance after running AWC, but I have noticed one thing I'm really not impressed with --

I surf the net from a limited account by choice, though I was able to install software when I wanted by (right-click--> run as...). That way I didn't have to log off or switch to the admin account. Since installing AWC, I'm no longer able to do that. Now if I try right-click--> run as..., I get a popup error message telling me I don't have appropriate permission to access the item.

Anyone know a quick fix for this? I was pretty satisfied, until I discovered this. :angry:

RayG

My paging file... 'thing' is set at 1537Mb, the minimum is 2Mb and the recommended allocation is 765Mb. I have no idea if it is always like this, or as muchado has experienced, it was changed by this software. Should I lower it do you think?

A standard (non-customized) recommended setting is a min/max of 1.5 times RAM. So if you have 512MB of RAM then I'd expect a recommended setting to be 768MB. Is the 765 a typo?

Ok, it was pretty easy to reset it to my old settings. I just ran AWC, told it to restore my previous settings, did so, and then uninstalled it.

They really need to document the changes this thing makes to people's computers.

RayG

Ok, it was pretty easy to reset it to my old settings. I just ran AWC, told it to restore my previous settings, did so, and then uninstalled it.

They really need to document the changes this thing makes to people's computers.

RayG

Maybe we could contact them and let 'em know about this thread? I aint really one for letters though... :mrgreen:

with regards

Damn, I wish I had noticed that before. :thud:

edit:

another note , after I had the problem with AWC and did a major repair, I noticed when updating at Microsoft I had to update 34 different things. I realise 8 were new today . I was just curious if this happened to anyone else that did or did not have a problem with AWC. :unsure:

I only had 9 updates.

A standard (non-customized) recommended setting is a min/max of 1.5 times RAM. So if you have 512MB of RAM then I'd expect a recommended setting to be 768MB. Is the 765 a typo?

I checked again, no, it says 765Mb. I'm beginning to wonder about this software now. I took a screenshot of the panel:

Posted Image

Does that look normal?

Does that look normal?

If you set it to System Managed size the results showing at the bottom would probably be 2, 765 and 768. Mine are 2, 381 and 382 respectively after I changed back to system managed for my laptop. My desktop is quite new with customised settings so I don't mess with it with these kinds of programs while it is running like new.

:beer: :beer:

I think this is going to be another 50/50 (like/dislike) application.

I liked it but would like more information prior to making changes to my machine.

I thought the tweak was to have “AlwaysUnloadDLL” turned on.

Fix improper settings for Intranet or LAN with proxy

Fix improper policies for Internet Explorer

Clean tracks on Windows Regedit

Turn off “AlwaysUnloadDLL” for fast access to memory

http://www.iobit.com/WindowsCare.htm#Online%20Help

if you look at the previous post (picture) mine says:

no paging file (selected)

2 mb

1150recommended

115 allocated

I do not understand how this all changed either : AWC and repair? the uninstall and repair?

(I also posted this under Q& A as I did not want it to appear I was trying to Hijack this thread.)

well I had bad experiances with it

first like others my page file went up big time

second I dont know if it was from this proggie or not, but alot of my file ext got changed, mainly htm/html got changed to some office 2003 componet but I had installed office months ago, and it just happend after I ran the "repair" Like I said I really cant say for sure it was this program but im very leary now and have already uninstalled it.

to add to that I couldnt just tell windows to stop using that program I had to go into folder options>file types> delete the extentions htm and html then add them back to get the icons/asssociations back to the way they were.

stupid me didnt even think to tell AWC to change back before I uninstalled it :( These 2 are the only problems Ive noticed so far

Edited by oldie

(I also posted this under Q& A as I did not want it to appear I was trying to Hijack this thread.)

:lol: Honestly, I think this is good feedback.

I like it but others don't. There are many applications that get mixed reviews.

My paging file error was the opposite (too low), but manually changed it to the reccommended size. So, I guess this validates the issue because it changes that. Everyone who has been using it, please check your paging file settings for any changes.

so can someone suggest what size to make these files? I have 115 . (I have 768 pc133 ram)

Edited by mrdithers

well i tried the thing out ....dont notice any real performance gain. now on boot up everything halts at the welcome screen with a beep....ctrl alt del to finish boot, still havent figure out the exact problem. a scan with panda said it had some adware attached so its gone..

edit: another problem i just noticed is i cant update windows from m$ site. error message that the administrator has disabled updates, stand alone machine and lone user

Edited by dikdanger

Whenever I research a new application, I'll always read user reviews, specifically negative reviews regarding the application, just to find out some of the problems people have had or are having with it. If their problems seem petty, I may decide to go ahead and try it anyway based on the positive reviews. But from what I've read in this thread, Advanced WindowsCare will never see the light of day on my computer. And that's a promise... ;) -kd5-

Well said kd5.

Weighing up the positive's against the negative's l think l'll give this one a miss.

I noticed when running Diskeeper, that there was an extra 'yellow block' of paging files. It definitely wasn't there prior to running AWC, so I've changed it to the recommened figure and that extra block has now gone.

Fortunately, the problems caused by AWC were relatively minor and easy even for a total tech-gimp like me to fix. I suppose the best advice I could give is not to optimise when you use it. The repair funtion seems fine, the optimise fuction, hmmm, I won't use that again.

All the reviews were good - that's why I used it. If I were reading this thread for the first time today, I wouldn't use it.

After installing and using AWC, DiskeeperLite showed me an extra green block.

Like Toast, I'm not sure I'd install it now, but I do see an improvement in performance. I hope to see more feedback on AWC.