Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countrydave55

Judge Miers?

I don't know if Ms. Miers will be a good judge or not but I confess that I am concerned that President Bush's strongest support of her nomination is that "I know her heart". Isn't that the rational he used in support of President Vladimir Putin in saying that we should trust him? That doesn't seem to have turned out to well to me.

I was rootin for a female..was really looking foward to a bigger fight tho...she's in like her or not... ;) v

i dont think she'll make it..

even republicans question her..

I am republican... :mrgreen:

I kinda like her... she's right of center tho... :lol: v

I am republican...

As am I. :P

I kinda like her... she's right of center tho... v

Let's hope far enough to make a difference. :mrgreen:

Ed.

I am republican...

As am I. :P

I kinda like her... she's right of center tho... v

Let's hope far enough to make a difference. :mrgreen:

Ed.

Not trying to. Forgot to hit Edit. Sorry,

Ed.

Give the POTUS a break. He combed thru + or - 100 M women to find the very best. That's hard work.

Here's what Senator Kerry had to say about the newly appointed Miers:

“We know next to nothing about the legal philosophy of the person President Bush has selected to replace Justice O'Connor casting the deciding votes on the most difficult issues confronting our nation. America can't afford a replay of the unrevealing confirmation process that preceded Chief Justice Roberts' confirmation.”

“Given how little we know about this nominee other than her work as the President's lawyer, the White House needs to disclose all documents requested by the Judiciary Committee, and Ms. Miers needs to explain her thoughts on constitutional interpretation. Without a meaningful exchange during the confirmation hearings, there is no way to know how Ms. Miers views the Constitution, whether she's a strict constructionist in the mold of Justices Scalia and Thomas, or whether she will protect fundamental rights and liberties. Questions need to be answered.”

I can't see how this will work - in my opinion, this is somthing of a sneak attack. We don't know Miers, as she was never a judge. The only way we can find out about her is by reading documents which Bush can withold citing attorney client privalages and exectutive privaliges. On the one hand, her being his attorney, he has every right ot withold these documents. On the other hand, if he does withold them, how will we ever find out about her?

If democrats come out and say this, though, they are at risk of being scolded for "not wanting a woman on the Supreme Court". Lose-lose situation.

I think she is the lamb being led to slaughter. I think Bush has thrown one 'into the fray' knowing full well that she will not pass muster. The extreme right in his own party is furious that he didn't appoint Rumsfelds clone, whoever that may be. I think this is the only way he can appear to be 'middle of the road' on this appointment.

Being Republican or Democrat isn't all that important when choosing a SC judge -- these people have so very much power, because lower courts are viewed as ineffective and incompetent. ( and because so many lawyers need a place to make a living)

:blink::woot:B)

I dont know her views, but i think that its nat too bad of an idea to nominate somebody that hasnt been a judge before. I think that it will make her take more of a real world approach to the position.

I don't know if Ms. Miers will be a good judge or not but I confess that I am concerned that President Bush's strongest support of her nomination is that "I know her heart". Isn't that the rational he used in support of President Vladimir Putin in saying that we should trust him? That doesn't seem to have turned out to well to me.

I don't question whether Bush knows her heart. I question whether she was the best possible candidate that the Republicans could put forward. The administration's appointments which are based upon cronyism have not performed well--FEMA's Michael Brown is but one example.

If nothing else, the law of averages tells me that there are numerous qualified Republicans. I have trouble believing that his personal lawyer, whose chief accomplishment has been to run the Texas Lottery, is among that group.

I think he nominated her because he thought her not having a judicial record would help her get confirmed. I have to question this type of reasoning because now both Republicans and Democrats are going to come out against her. Now he may have nominated her as a scape goat so that she will not get confirmed and then he could nominate a conservative so that the Democrats will have used all their cards fighting the last nomination up. This might be how he sails another consevative through to the supreme court.

I personally like his choice. She is a woman, and the fact she has no judicial experience doesn't mean that she has not had the opportunity to develop a good sense for our judicial system.

The far right portions of the Republican party are concerned because she is not a slam dunk right winger. Neither was Roberts. And they are pushing back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5100502200.html

What I don't understand what they want Bush to do. Can he withdrawal her nomination? It seems a little late to do that, and Bush doesn't seem like the type of person that would do that anyhow.

Kinda hopeing he would pick someone

like....Ann Coulter... :)

she will be confirmed, anyone who thinks otherwise obviously hasn't paid attention to very many supreme court nominations in their lifetime.

edit: and about Ann Coulter, even I wouldn't prefer having her on the Supreme Court. I'm a Republican and all, but she's a little too far right for me.

He [the president] would be both ashamed and afraid to bring forward, for the most distinguished or lucrative stations, candidates who had no other merit than that of coming from the same State to which he particularly belonged, or of being in some way or other personally allied to him, or of possessing the necessary insignificance and pliancy to render them the obsequious instruments of his pleasure.

Alexander Hamilton in The Federalist Papers

Obviously, Hamilton could not imagine a president such as Bush who had no shame.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/...ed/federa76.htm

Wow, rhizome, great quote and it certainly describes this situation. I cannot believe that Bush can say this is the best candidate. He may know her well personally but her credentials do not say Supreme Court Justice to me.

I don't object to having a non-judge appointment, but I think that Congress has some duty to find out where the candidate stands on legal matters. There is no record for this person as far as their judicial outlook, which means it will be crucial to get some information during the hearings.

This is the time for the Senate to exercise its Advice and Consent Power.

I don't like the fact that she's up for nomination. She has never taken the bench as a Judge in her career and it feels way too much like President Bush is putting her name up because she's part of his " inner circle ".