Change Mode

puting a usb card in a old computer?

will this work in my 1998 computer? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VIA-USB-2-0-4-port...1QQcmdZViewItem the computer is 233mhzs intel 96mb ram. we just found this computer yesterday and i got it all setup. it has a onboard usb pci thing but today when i plug it in i smelled something burning and i turned the computer off real fast and i look in on the board and now theres a burnt spot on the motherboard were the pci plug goes with a fuse or transter burt off:( the computer still works fine and all but i cant get the usb working now:( this is the first time i got the usbs working the mouse lighted up and everything than went right off and that when i smelled somthing burning:( so it could of ben bad in the first place.

Sure. It will work, but with the $9.95 shipping fee I'd prefer to buy direct from NewEgg, TigerDirect, or the dreaded local Best Buy.

You can get a 4 plug USB 2.0 PCI card at Best Buy for about $14.95

But then you kinda got to wonder why the first one burnt.???

Got any leaky capacitors? How's the "dust-bunny" situation.

Are your other PCI slots loaded? If so, you might be pulling alot of amps from an old PSU and causing yourself trouble, especially if you hook up multiple USB devices to the card and have them all running.

Edited by dough

the first one wasint a pci card that plug right in the pci slot. its 2 white wires that plug in the motherboard you know like the new cases with front usbs than theres a wire too plug in too the motherboard. its just a bracket with 2 usbs that hooks on the case in the back were the pci slots are. the computer was realy dusty but i cleaned it out. and the capacitors they look all good. hows this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815153001

Edited by gordesky1

Yep. That should work just fine.

USB 2.0 is backward compatible with your older USB 1.1 peripherals and input devices.

Best Regards

i just got it today and the card work in my new computers but not that old one. when i boot it up nothing comes on the screen just a black screen. i took it out and it booted up fine. i tried a 350watt psu too and still nothing:( i even tried it in my amd 233mhz old computer and it does the same thing. does any buddy know the problem?

when you installed it on the pc that didn't work did the pc find the card as a new hardware and also check your device manager if it had any yellow exclamation marks contained to usb devices also if it didn't find it see if you can scan for new hardware via control panel then add new hardware

it doesint boot at all when i push the on button on the tower the screen just stays black when i take the card out it boots. i just tried it on my 3rd computer that has a amd 233mhz i got 2 amd 233mhzs computers and it whouldint boot either. i dont know whats wrong:(

just tried it in my etower 633ids 633mhzs and it booted right up and installed the usbs. it seems like it ony works on computers thats in the 2000s the other computers are 1997s and 1998s 1 233mhzs intel and 2 233mhzd amd k6s dont work with it for some reason:(