Change Mode

Ok guys this is gonna sound stupid

So I come home from college for the weekend and I find the family computer a wreck. The bar on the bottom of the window is gone, and every time I right click it just reloads my desktop. Anyone have any ideas to getting these things to work again?

So I come home from college for the weekend and I find the family computer a wreck. The bar on the bottom of the window is gone, and every time I right click it just reloads my desktop. Anyone have any ideas to getting these things to work again?

You can try system restore if all else fails! Restore it back to a time it worked!

Hmmm, I know or at least I think I know that XP has system restore points and a tool that lets you load your Last Knowns Good Configurations.

You can try the LKGC by pressing F8 I believe after POST and selecting Last Known Good Configuration. It may work, it may not. If that doesnt work, you can boot to safe mode and work around in there.

(Im just a user viewing the forums, not an expert.)

sounds like a problem with explorer.exe starting up, but i could be wrong..

ill do a little research.

I have this problem frequently with 98SE. I right-click the desktop, select ' Active Desktop/ Customise, open the background tab, select the next one down in the list then, without OK-ing that, reselect my original background , click 'Apply' and Explorer fixes itself.

Of course, that might not work for you.

If you hold the cursor at the bottom (or at any of the edges) does the taskbar pop up???

If you depress the windows key does the start menu pop up??

The taskbar does not pop up. And neither does the start menu pop up either.

Can you do sfc /scannow? Real handy at times. What this does is, it'll punch up the System File Checker to make sure all your system files are intact and in their original versions. If it finds that a file is missing or corrupt, it may request you insert the XP CD, and sonetimes if most of the CD files are on your hard drive, it'll check there instead and start replacing files right away.