Sign in to follow this  
Champion_Munch

Everyone seems to have left... :(

For the first time EVER I opened GD and there was no one there. Admins seem to have done a VERY thorough job. OK so it 0727 in GB but there has to be a more 'reasonable time somewhere in the world ;)

Seriously I have not been here for some time, because quite frankly I couldn't understand, or see the point of, half of the talk.

Niggle niggle seemed to be the order of the day for some. So if that has gone - good riddance.

Edit: Merged into the original topic. -kd5-

Edited by kd5

Here's the deal from this crusty old soul's perspective:

When things began at GD, Rob and Dave were in charge -- mostly Rob. I was recruited as lieutenant of this particular forum and I pretty much had free reign to dispense justice as I saw fit. I'm not tooting my own horn but I gotta tell you, despite some very animated and contrary posts over a period of a couple of years, we managed to find common ground on a daily basis. Very few members were expelled and some surprising candidates reformed their ways and became worthwhile contributors.

At a certain point I chose to abdicate my position. Within weeks a half dozen new moderators were deputised. At first the conversation remained civilised enough but you could see the tone deteriorating almost from the start. The first sign was the ease with which certain moderators slipped into the habit of discussing forum business privately amongst themselves. It was only a matter of time before cliques started forming. And it would be a mistake to think I'm the only one who noticed that development.

Given the fact that the membership cannot be faulted for taking a cue from the staff and that the staff can hardly agree amongst themselves, it's hardly surprising the membership should be so fractured.

I

Edited by Iain

I don't remember that Iain, after you, I was the only other moderator for almost a year. I never was clicky, and to this day am still not. I never discussed forum business with anyone, and if I did it was almost always out in the open forum. I still believe out in the open is the best way. Let the chips fall where they may.

Wasn't too found of the "clicks" that formed, and many of the choices that were made. Those "clicks" as you call them, have the reins now. :lol:

Here's the deal from this crusty old soul's perspective:

When things began at GD, Rob and Dave were in charge -- mostly Rob. I was seconded as lieutenant of this particular forum and I pretty much had free reign to dispense justice as I saw fit. I'm not tooting my own horn but I gotta tell you, despite some very animated and contrary posts over a period of a couple of years, we managed to find common ground on a daily basis. Very few members were expelled and some surprising candidates reformed their ways and became worthwhile contributors.

At a certain point I chose to abdicate my position. Within weeks a half dozen new moderators were deputised. At first the conversation remained civilised enough but you could see the tone deteriorating almost from the start. The first sign was the ease with which certain moderators slipped into the habit of discussing forum business privately amongst themselves. It was only a matter of time before cliques started forming. And it would be a mistake to think I'm the only one who noticed that development.

Given the fact that the membership cannot be faulted for taking a cue from the staff and that the staff can hardly agree amongst themselves, it's hardly surprising the membership should be so fractured.

I

:P

Iain,

In all fairness to everyone?

Guess heaps of people are upset, myself included, most of the Caring Members have set back, to allow the Pit to recover. Maybe it is now time to discuss this Issue, nicely?

I don't honestly think that any of the Admin Staff wants to bury the Issues, rather, I think they are really concerned about what has happened! I think that the Pit has settled down enough, now, to at least discuss this nicely, within the Rules and have all of the Members happy again!

I am not saying this to stir up Trouble, just saying it as a Member that really CARES!

Guess most of the old Geezers will back me up on this?

:geezer:

Bruce,

You're right. I failed to note your interregnum. And I loudly proclaim your innocence in regards my post. I have a wretchedly selective memory. apropos: It was neither Rob nor Dave who recruited me. It was that other guy who started this place and whose name I forget.... Please forgive. My position stands though.

I

Edited by Iain

In a word, no.

I

Iain?

To get this back to perspective?

My Comment was made into another Thread merged into this one!

My Comment was made to encourage the Poster to come to this Thread, good work by kd5 made that happen, Mate! So let's all settle down again?

:beer: :beer:

Well that's a relief, but weren't you engaging in a species of the behaviour we've been complaining about? That's not a jab, but how was I to know? In any case, if I offended please accept my apologies.

I

Well that's a relief, but weren't you engaging in a species of the behaviour we've been complaining about? That's not a jab, but how was I to know? In any case, if I offended please accept my apologies.

I

As far as I know? I was trying to help out at the time, Mate?

I certainly hope that people don't think I was or am a Malcontent?

The Pit has really lost some outstanding people, ones never to be replaced, guess heaps more are in Limbo?

Guess, people that really CARE for the Pit will Rally around to help get it up again?

:beer: :beer: