Sign in to follow this  
Champion_Munch

Everyone seems to have left... :(

Unless I am mistaken, (which I could be) cpuguru must have been posting in the hijack This forum. The are VERY strict over there and have VERY clear rules about who helps who. If someone continues to post there without following the rules, they will probably get suspended. Even in the best of intentions, we need to follow the rules. That is the ONLY area I know of where just anybody cant help. Alot of damage could be caused by giving the wrong advice there so they want people that they know have been somewhat trained.

I cant blame them for that and if that is the rule in that 1 area, then it should be respected.

So as I said, if cpuguru posted in that 1 area and was told to stop and he didnt, then what choice did the mods or admins have?

If I am wrong, then I do apologize to cpuguru but the only area I know of that they will not allow just anyone to post it the Hijack This forum.

If the rules are broken, then people must be accountable. even if we disagree with the rules.

You are correct about it being the hijack forums. However after I was told to stop posting in that forum I discontinued to help in that forum. I did however continue helping the person, after they requested that I help them, through personal messages.

I'v been here a good long while...this forum has changed dozens of times in its nature and its active members and numbers of them......sometimes we do good and sometimes we miss...but we can't allow everything. :) v

You are correct about it being the hijack forums. However after I was told to stop posting in that forum I discontinued to help in that forum. I did however continue helping the person, after they requested that I help them, through personal messages.

glad you cleared that up cpu. I didnt know it was through PM's..

well , I guess its in the past.

you are still here and so am I

(so far :fear: )

Yes, that's in the past and CPU is still here.

I'm the one who runs rough shod over that particular forum :shifty::lol:

I registered Feb 3 2003, so I've been around awhile. Don't get the chance to drop in very often but, I'm still here and I don't think I've ruffled to many feathers.

Intend to be around for a long time yet but visits will only be from time to time. I've seen GD in various states and feel that as I live at the bottom of the world and don't have the same emotional involvement in a lot of the threads, that, I can offer a valid, balanced and perhaps, a more objective opinion.

Overall and over time, GD is a very good forum. Yes, it does have problems from time to time and things sometimes get a bit passionate but passionate are usually so because they care and the better ones are still here. Which shows that they have stickability and thats a good quality to have.

Anyway thats enough of my rambling except for one more point, stick by your right to your own opinion and willing grant all others their right to their own opinion.

I live at the bottom of the world and don't have the same emotional involvement in a lot of the threads, that, I can offer a valid, balanced and perhaps, a more objective opinion.

Yeah, that's what I thought, and I live at the armpit. :lol:

Yes, that's in the past and CPU is still here.

I'm the one who runs rough shod over that particular forum :shifty::lol:

I understand that you are just looking out for the people who are posting their problems; however I could go into U2U and tell people who have little knowledge of computers to pull out their videocard when it is running, I could give them a windows tweak that would render their windows install useless. There are many things that a person could do intentionally or not that could damage a persons computer in any of the other forums.

I don't see what the big deal is with me helping a person who has waited 5 days and had no responses, as is the case with many of the posts in there right now. I was just smart enough to tell Johnny in U2U how to install his $1,200 processor but now I am not smart enough to help out a person with some spyware?

Don't take it personally, it is just my frustrations with the system.

All you have to do is go through the classes that you joined long ago. Get the education for these advanced infections and the knowledge of the specific tools used, and you be graduated in no time.

I don't know why we have to keep going round and round on this. :rollie:

I don't have time for the classes, I am working towards my 'real' degree so I don't have time to take classes for stuff I already know.

Are you suggesting that patience is not a virtue? Of course you're not. Nevertheless, I think you're mistaken in your assesment of the facts.

GD has been a wild ride right from the start. This recent storm wasn't the first to buffet our kind storefronts, and hopefully it won't be the last. But banishing misbehaving souls has never been our way in these parts. Mostly we put up with them till they finally come around or leave. And mostly that works: If you're patient.

I understand GD has had it's ups and downs, but you must admit that it was sinking to new lows around here. The stuff being posted and the insults hurled at other members needed to be brought under control. And it is being done, which is a good thing.

I don't believe any member has been banished unless they pushed things too far. I know several have left due to the changes here, but that was of their own choosing. And they have that right. Hopefully they will return, but that is up to them.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy being able to come to GD and read the threads, and even post. And not fear that someone will take my post wrong and start throwing insults at me.

Edited by dickster

I for one like it now much better than it was for that month or so when the crapola stirrers were making trouble for all of us! What WAS up with that anyway? Some people aren't happy unless they are causing trouble. I can't imagine why someone would have left because a crapola stirrer got banned, doesn't make sense to me. :unsure: But WHATEVER! :geezer: I just love that old geezer emoticon :P

When the going gets tough, go weed the garden!

There is a time to just sit on your hands, and step away from the keyboard.

I'm still learning it all too!!

But, I enjoy a good intense discussion!!

The act of putting my thoughts on paper (so to speak) tends to clarify those thoughts, and the discussions were a vehicle for that. The abusive posts got ignored, but the other persons thinking did have value.

I feel that so many of the angry posts were not things that had been well thought out, but rather were things said out of loyalty to religions, political movements and various asundary persuits. None seemed to be ideas that had been formulated from careful thought and consideration of how the consequence may have affected others.. :geezer:

None seemed to be ideas that had been formulated from careful thought and consideration of how the consequence may have affected others..

Well spoken, wise one.

Do you play the tuber ? :lol:

I think it seems quieter here yes, but wait til it gets close to election time again ... the political threads will abound and nobody will agree as usual :P

Speaking your mind is fine... I do ..... as does most people. But you had a few who never signed off. They stayed here all day and all night watching to see who was posting where so they could go stir up a load of crap just because they had no other life and nothing better to do. Controversy can be amusing for a while until it passes a certain point... then its not funny anymore. When they have a long history since joining the forum of starting problems, then post either an "I'm sorry I will do better" or "I am leaving and never coming back" threads over and over... you really start to doubt their sanity and reasons for being here. Those kind of folks were given every chance in the world and still they couldn't seem to have any self control. There are rules here for a reason. This is not a free for all forum. There are rules and everyone is aware of them... not always fun not always something you can agree with but they are in place for a reason.

The Mods and Admins aren't babysitters. They shouldn't have to sit here watching a select few like a bunch of unruly children.

I think there are some really good folks left here :wub:

The Mods and Admins aren't babysitters. They shouldn't have to sit here watching a select few like a bunch of unruly children.

Yeah, when all that BS was going on, my sweetie(kd5) couldn't do much forum helping of the people who needed help with their computers for spending much of his time "babysitting".

I'm just really glad that's not going on here anymore!!! Haven't I said that already? :blink:

What is it about GD that people don't understand? This isn't a technical help-line. It's an avenue for general discussions. It's specifically designed to provide a forum in which technical topics are not the order of the day. It's a place where we come together as a community, often with difficulty but still with civility.

I'm baffled that certain members want to scupper this scow.

I

I don't want to scupper any scows, either literally or figuratively. I just want everyone to behave themselves and stop with the "personal attacks, rudeness, flaming, baiting, insults to others, and arguments". If people leave because the mods & admins try to enforce that, then so be it. -kd5-

...It's a place where we come together as a community, often with difficulty but still with civility.

I

And therein lies the crux. If the civility were in fact there, this thread would not exist.

Some (former?) members have no idea what "freedom of speech" entails. They cannot seem to separate ideas from attitudes. That is unacceptable.

My whole case is and always has been that interdiction is never a good strategy for the simple reason it doesn't work.

I hate to give you stuff about when I was running the show but it's true: We worked things out even though we had much less in common then. And no, I don't want my old job back. I just want my old neighbourhood.

One tip: Things started to deteriorate when you created a separate forum for the mounting hordes of mods and admins that appeared when I left.

I

Edited by Iain

Well you've got me now. I can't seem to find a definition for indiction other than it's some kind of 15 year fiscal cycle from the Roman Empire. Or maybe rule by proclamation.

And I'll need to see some proof it doesn't work. Things are certainly much more civil in here of late.

Edit:

Well crap!! interdiction is a whole different thing!!!

IMO it is perfectly valid and necessary for those who cannot control themselves, as defined by a set of universally accepted rules.

Things started to deteriorate when you created a separate forum for the mounting hordes of mods and admins that appeared when I left.

A conference call perhaps??? Can't imagine mods and admins not being able to communicate about what's going on at The Pit.

Hey IntelGuy...interdiction...try that word... :) It makes more sense that way! OOPS...never mind!!!!!!! :blink:

Edited by andromeda

Well you've got me now.  I can't seem to find a definition for indiction other than it's some kind of 15 year fiscal cycle from the Roman Empire.  Or maybe rule by proclamation.

And I'll need to see some proof it doesn't work.  Things are certainly much more civil in here of late.

Thats uh... interdiction sir... http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=interdiction

Things seem OK around here I guess. I do miss the "good posts" that some of the so-called "bad people" made though. But I'd rather have it slightly boring and civil than exciting and barbaric. :lol:

Then again... I'm classified as one of the "bad people" so I should probably go find my bretheren wherever they've found a new home at and jump into the madness head first. :roller:

Edited by Neo X1

One tip: Things started to deteriorate when you created a separate forum for the mounting hordes of mods and admins that appeared when I left.

First off, the Pit has grown into an entity which has demanded additional moderators. There is no question of that. We're no longer a community of just a few kindred souls, our numbers have grown just as our diversity. With the increasing numbers and diversity comes increased friction at times. If I was that one moderator who was expected to moderate GD under the current circumstances, I might as well forego any life whatsoever outside the Pit because it would demand all of my time.

Secondly, the Boardroom was created so that the Admins & Moderators could discuss critical issues prior to taking any action. In some of the more consequential decisions, a consensus is reached so that a person doesn't feel as if he/she is overstepping their bounds.

I honestly don't see how the creation of a separate forum so the Admins & Moderators could discuss critical issues has had any effect on the rest of the Pit whatsoever. Regardless, discussing it in GD isn't going to make the Boardroom go away. -kd5-