Change Mode

Jewelry Question

BlackWiddow

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could add to a ring band like make it thicker. My girlfriend n I are gonna be gettin engaged soon, n she has a ring her mom gave her, n I have it cuz im gonna add our birthstones to it, and add a diamond to it. Also, I wanna strengthen the band cuz its looking a little weak, and I want it to last. Is it possible to add to the band without replacing the whole thing?

Thanks,

BW :beer:

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could add to a ring band like make it thicker. My girlfriend n I are gonna be gettin engaged soon, n she has a ring her mom gave her, n I have it cuz im gonna add our birthstones to it, and add a diamond to it. Also, I wanna strengthen the band cuz its looking a little weak, and I want it to last. Is it possible to add to the band without replacing the whole thing?

Thanks,

BW :beer:

The bit I have put in bold is a really good idea. That is something that I would consider when me and my boyf get our next ring. We have already got a 'commitment' gold ring with 5 diamonds set inside. He keeps on about getting another ring, little sod as he is.

I think they're called Ring Guards....the ring in question fits in the middle of it and it becomes bigger and stronger....just like Hulk... :mrgreen:

Do the obvious, see a jeweler as suggested.

Or, instead of an engagement ring, just apply a small tourniquet. It has the same results, it cuts off your circulation.... :P

I'm fixing to take a ring to a jeweler with the same issue, I have a ring with a large setting but the band is so thin I could probably squeeze it with my fingers and it was bend in half. I haven't yet seen the jeweler but I am assuming that they will just take the setting and put it on a new wider band.

I'm fixing to take a ring to a jeweler with the same issue, I have a ring with a large setting but the band is so thin I could probably squeeze it with my fingers and it was bend in half. I haven't yet seen the jeweler but I am assuming that they will just take the setting and put it on a new wider band.

let me know what they say that they can do. I have plenty of time, but it has to look pretty much the same cuz this is THE ring she wants, I just want it a little stronger cuz I know it wont last forever.

Ring guards/enhancers are usually used for solitaire. If the ring is a solitaire on a thin band, that may be your answer. Then the birthstones could even go on the enhancer itself. Sounds like a good idea to me...that way the original ring wouldn't have to be altered since it's a family heirloom. The enhancer could be attached to the ring by your jeweler so it won't move around. They look better that way.

let me know what they say that they can do. I have plenty of time, but it has to look pretty much the same cuz this is THE ring she wants, I just want it a little stronger cuz I know it wont last forever.

OK, I'll let you know. :)

I posted my other reply before I got a chance to read this so the enhancer wouldn't work because it would change the appearance of the ring. I don't see a problem with them putting that setting on a little bit wider band though.

I had a ring made when I inherited some jewerly.

One thing they explained to me was how many stones could go across the ring till it interfered with the other fingers....Fingers to either side.

Stones that extend to far over would rub into other fingers...and then that creates another problem...So instead of going further around the ring we went into double layers of stones.

I had to have mine soldered....it had a weak area on the band from where my Mother had worn it for years....And it did make that area a little bit wider and it worked well.....I chose soldering because at that time it was the cheapest route and the jeweler said sometimes adding gold to existing gold didnt hold.....as in make the band wider....This has been a while and I betcha now they can do better things.

I think your marvelous in making her ring exactly as she wants.....

Best of Luck

It's kinda hard to tell from the photo as it's kinda blurry but from the tone of it, it appears to be more like 18 karat gold and not 14 karat and 18 K is softer as it's more pure gold. As dainty as that ring is, they probably wouldn't be able to put a much wider band on it and it's going to bend(being 18K) in time anyway so you may just see if they can straighten it up for you when you have those stones added. Personally I wouldn't worry about it breaking, I don't think it will. That's just my opinion...

• 15 years later...
4 hours ago, aubreytaylor said:

Enjoy shopping at Billy Bob's  where lot of verities available in silver jewelry. You can choose birthstone with specified jewelry for your special day.

-------------------

**Spam link Removed** Nigsy.

I'm going to suggest that after nearly 17 years; they've got engaged, married and have enjoyed a great life together; so no point in dragging up an old post for your spam. - Oh and not to be pedantic it's "Varieties".