Change Mode

Idiots are everywhere

Bruce

I find some decent computers that have been tossed out occasionally, but today takes the cake.

I arrived at work this morning to see a computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse sitting next to the dumpster by the general contractors office trailer.

I take a closer look to see it is a 2 year Dell Optiplex GX260, and a 17 inch Trinitron monitor. I think well maybe with a minimum expense I can get it going. So I ask a super from the general contractor if I can take it, he says sure go for it. He says themonitor works but we think the hard drive is dead. I say cooool, and load it up in my car.

I get home open it up, blow it out with my air compressor, and attempt to boot it up, well it fired right up, and I was welcomed to a win2K login screen. After peeking at the companies financial... well no I didn't. :P

I popped in my linux disks and it is running very happily.

P4 2.2 GHZ, 1 gig of ram, tiny drive 20 gig, usb, firwire, modem, ethernet......

Good find and it's a keeper. :rofl2::geezer:

Dude they threw away a Dell. :rofl3:

Edited by Bruce

I find some decent computers that have been tossed out occasionally, but today takes the cake.

I arrived at work this morning to see a computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse sitting next to the dumpster by the general contractors office trailer.

I take a closer look to see it is a 2 year Dell Optiplex GX560, and a 19 inch Trinitron monitor. I think well maybe with a minimum expense I can get it going. So I ask a super from the general contractor if I can take it, he says sure go for it. He says themonitor works but we think the hard drive is dead. I say cooool, and load it up in my car.

I get home open it up, blow it out with my air compressor, and attempt to boot it up, well it fired right up, and I was welcomed to a win2K login screen. After peeking at the companies financial... well no I didn't. :P

I popped in my linux disks and it is running very happily.

P4 2.2 GHZ, 1 gig of ram, tiny drive 20 gig, usb, firwire, modem, ethernet......

Good find and it's a keeper. :rofl2::geezer:

Dude they threw away a Dell. :rofl3:

I am so amazed at the PCs people throw away.

Good find.

:beer: :beer:

The only thing that was even remotely dirty/used looking was the keyboard. The wife has that apart now and is cleaning it with Bleach. I mean this stuff looks brand new.

The "Dell" does not excite me all that much, but the Trinitron is a worthy monitor for any system. Not sure exactly what I will do with the PC, but I won't let the monitor go. ;)

I think a new file server/backup machine, will be good duty for it.

I know what you mean Bruce, i work on dell's all day, a user just gave me a dell optiplex GX400 that she was getting rid of because of an upgrade..

nothing special but it was free.

P4 1.8, with intel 850 chipset

256MB Rimm pc800 (Rambus 800MGhz)

dvd drive

cd-rw drive

40GB Hdd

soundblaster Live! 5.1

sti vid card.(crappy 7000 series)

not bad for free..

Edited by PowerChucker

haha..that nice..

at my house..we just got 10 macintosh towers

My dad works at the University of Minnesota, and he runs a computer lab there..and they just switched from Mac to Windows..so we have all these G4's sitting here.

we already had 7 computers, so we dont need any of them..

they will probably be donated to the school system here or something

Edited by porksandwich9113

haha..that nice..

at my house..we just got 10 macintosh towers

My dad works at the University of Minnesota, and he runs a computer lab there..and they just switched from Mac to Windows..so we have all these G4's sitting here.

we already had 7 computers, so we dont need any of them..

they will probably be donated to the school system here or something

Ill pay for the shipping...send me one!!!! :mrgreen:

Copied right from the Little Manuel Thing

Only 3 years old too..MAC OS v10.1 AKA Puma

Dual 1GHz (7455 rev 2.1) CPUs with 1MB DDR L3 cache per CPU

133 MHZ FSBus Per Processor.

167MHz bus (SDR) with 768MB DDR memory

OEM IBM 80GB drive

Onboard ATA/100 hard drive controller

OEM ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB graphics card

OEM Pioneer DVR-104 superdrive

Edited by porksandwich9113

Nice find(s) guys. Actually my current network switch, is something I found in the trash. Turns out 1 of the 5 ports are broken, but the rest work fine. Not bad for free. :).

Oh, is it legal to take someone's trash if it's clearly marked as trash? Better in my house than the dumpster, right?

Don't much care what they thought. They are "idiots" after all.

As I often say at work, when refering to the engineers in the office, educated idiots. Nothing worse then someone with a 6 year college degree, lacking the everyday common intelligence of a ten year old.

The best part of the idiots are everywhere story is this.

I checked the machines build and selling date, it was built in Nov 2002, it was sold to Skanska in Oct 2003 for $1970 bucks, it came with a 3 year warranty, they were not even 2 years into the warranty of a perfectly running computer when they decided to throw it away, because they thought the drive was bad.

It was dusty inside, other than that, there is nothing wrong with the computer, they threw away the Trinitron monitor, knowing full well that it did work fine. :crash:

They are the first ones to complain about wasted materials on the job site. :geezer:

Izent hiher edumacation wonerfill

Edited by Bruce