Change Mode

Couple Questions

Corvus

Here is my Amd score . AMD64 3000 venice core 1.8gig Temps 27c(Zalman7000)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=MZLWNWLAATCS470U

Here is my Intel score. Intel 3000 prescott core 3gig Temps 42c(thermalright SLK948)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=KW189WNAWNUS0D0U

Ok here it goes, this is my first AMD machine, problems I have might be normal but not sure. When running any game with the AMD machine Cpu usage spikes to 100% and stays there I also experience a Lag in any game for about 5 seconds almost like a game pause after that it happens about every 30 minutes or so.

Second question on all benchmarks with my AMD machine( like 3D mark 05 and 03 and 01 it shows I have 2048 ram ,I bought two 512 hyper X stick PC3200 so it should show 1024? When bios starts up it shows the gig of ram and in the control panel it shows 1 gig also, ram is running in dual channel could have have two 1 gig sticks instead of 2 -512 sticks.Even the PC pit stop is reporting on one page that I have 1 gig but then when you go into the ram page it shows I have 2gig??

Third question, My Amd machine seems to be slow when running music and a game and teamspeak all at the same time, My intel machine doesn't have this problem??

Fourth question, Should I get a AMD64 4000 and the problems I have will go away or do I need to go back to a Intel machine or will I have to go with dual core AMD to solve the problems. I'm happy with the gaming performance that I have with the AMD machine but maybe I need a bigger AMD CPU?

Please help maybe this is normal maybe its not? I'm not starting a flaming war AMD vs INTEL either.. I need to know what I need to do to fix the problems I have.

Thanks

Edited by Corvus

it could be the cooling, the power supply, faulty ram, a slow hard drive, a slow mobo chipset, bad cooling, bad drivers

so many things...

hope this helps :salute:

Its not heat I posted my temps and they are very low even my graphics cards heat is at 37c on the FX5900 and 39c on the 7800GT OC , not power supply, I ran memory test an zero errors.. What about the ram thing??

Anyone else have problems with the AMD's like I have?

Please Read the first post I posted.

Here is my Amd score . AMD64 3000 venice core 1.8gig Temps 27c(Zalman7000)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=MZLWNWLAATCS470U

Here is my Intel score. Intel 3000 prescott core 3gig Temps 42c(thermalright SLK948)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=KW189WNAWNUS0D0U

Ok here it goes, this is my first AMD machine, problems I have might be normal but not sure. When running any game with the AMD machine Cpu usage spikes to 100% and stays there I also experience a Lag in any game for about 5 seconds almost like a game pause after that it happens about every 30 minutes or so.

Second question on all benchmarks with my AMD machine( like 3D mark 05 and 03 and 01 it shows I have 2048 ram ,I bought two 512 hyper X stick PC3200 so it should show 1024? When bios starts up it shows the gig of ram and in the control panel it shows 1 gig also, ram is running in dual channel could have have two 1 gig sticks instead of 2 -512 sticks.Even the PC pit stop is reporting on one page that I have 1 gig but then when you go into the ram page it shows I have 2gig??

Third question, My Amd machine seems to be slow when running music and a game and teamspeak all at the same time, My intel machine doesn't have this problem??

Fourth question, Should I get a AMD64 4000 and the problems I have will go away or do I need to go back to a Intel machine or will I have to go with dual core AMD to solve the problems. I'm happy with the gaming performance that I have with the AMD machine but maybe I need a bigger AMD CPU?

Please help maybe this is normal maybe its not? I'm not starting a flaming war AMD vs INTEL either.. I need to know what I need to do to fix the problems I have.

Thanks

one question how you get your video score to be so high. :beer:

I have the lastest bios ( F7 )for the gigabyte board

As for high video score Ha Ha Ha Ha that is my secret weapon ..... just change color quality to 16bit instead of 32bit thats what I did and it jumped from 489 at 32 bit to 635 at 16bit

anyone else have any answers to my problems??

Any help :help: would be nice... I know we have AMD users here they could at least tell me if it normal or not?? But by the lack of responses to my asking for little help :help: , I'm starting to think that AMD has problems and I might be looking at going with another intel CPU in order to fix my problems.

Hi,

i got AMD athlon 64 and have the exact same thing with the RAM, i have two 512mb ram sticks and for some reason the pitstop test is saying 2mbs of ram.

what kind of AMD to you have are you having any of the other problems I'm having.Also what motherboard fo you have?

you could try closing down norton when you want to play a game, or any other processes that you dont need to be running. im running an A64 3500 and never had any problems with games or anything. try cleaning up all those junk files on the athlon rig and defrag after that. if nothing else works i see you have alittle oc going there. try playing at stock and see if that makes a difference.

i used to have the same problem on a p42.6C running wolfenstein ET (the sporadic pausing n stuff)

in my case, it was a software problem (something was causing the cpu to max out , either the sound or the video)

i reformatted, installed sp2 and the latest nvidia drivers, flashed bios, and now everything works as it should

No this is not normal at all! I'm not sure which Gigabyte board you have, I noticed it say's f7. I tried the newer bios up to F8 and with my chip it was very crappy running. Original bios was F5. F6 is what works the best. I can play any game with no lags or stutters, even with the old video card I have.

I noticed with this board not to use the software and go through Windows, cause it will duplicate over the other bios. Need to get the bios you want from Gigabyte website and download it to floppy. Power up you computer and hit F8 during post to enter Dual Bios Q flash Utility.

From ther you can remove the old bios and update it with the new one fom the floppy disk. It's easy, and the best way!

Also don't know how your settings are on that board, or how it is configured in the bios, but you should not have those kind of problems whatsoever. If AMD owners had that problem we would toss them in the garbage and go with Intel! :lol:

Corvus,

i've just upgraded my bios and a little nvidia message came up to let me know that my memory has been changed from the 2gbs to 1gb (512mbx2) as it should be. So a bios upgrade should solve that problem for ya

I have the lastest bios already maybe I should delete them and reinstall them?

I dont think your CPU spiking to 100% is a problem.. My athlon XP 3200+ and Celeron 1.3 spikes to 100% with any games I play.. even a simple game like lemmings puts it to 100% load.

For your ram issue.. I have no idea why that is happening???