Change Mode

And I came across another one the other day, but I can't remember what it was. Another computer site, I think.

Anyway, IE will open the page with all the right info in the address bar, the header, and the footer, but then it will hang forever and eventually time out. But if I disconnect the drives with this install and connect and boot from the second set of drives, everything works perfectly. Also, if I try to ping the Intel websites, I get 100% packet loss.

So I'm thinking it's NOT hardware related. I've either corrupted my Windows install, or it's some setting I've tweaked or, more likely, some anti-spyware software I've installed.

Any ideas or suggestions?? :help:

Have you checked your hosts file?

Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS

Make sure there is nothing in there that is out of the ordinary. The onlything that SHOULD be there is this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Edit - Goto a dos prompt and type in "nslookup intel.com" - without quotes. What does it say?

Edited by BBYTech587

dont know if this is the right ball park but someone with an admin log on couldnt have added it to a fire wall, explorer or other software restricted list as opposed to allow list?

Even if you added it to a "block" list, you would still be able to ping the site.

Have you checked your hosts file?

Yes, I emptied the folder of everything except 3 or 4 entries that I have added and that have worked for several years.

Edit - Goto a dos prompt and type in "nslookup intel.com" - without quotes. What does it say?

Server: nslala01 verizon.net

Address:  68.238.64.12

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    intel.com

Address:  198.175.96.33

I then pinged 198.175.96.33. Same result.

someone with an admin log on couldnt have added it to a fire wall, explorer or other software restricted list

I'm the only user. :( But I'm thinking I did something myself, similar to what you described, with some software....

• 2 weeks later...