Change Mode

air shocks on my 87 firebird?

gordesky1

my firebird ben hiting bumps pretty hard. and i was thinking geting air shocks for it. will that sove the problem? and how hard will it too be put on. the air shocks that i seen is on here http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0011298/c-10114 it says custom fit does that meen i just pop off the old shocks and put theses right on?

aint airshocks better? because we thinking of geting them for us 94 tracker too. and the reg shocks seems like they wear out pretty fast on that. i just want something that will give a pretty good ride and haul alittle more weight. and dont the air shocks make the back of the car sit alittle more higher?

You really don't need a higher weight limit. I don't have first hand experience with riding in a car with air shocks (unless you count a large pickup). I agree with bruce, you can buy nice pair of regular shocks. I don't think it's a good thing to experiment with, you know?

I've used air shocks in the past and for most normal applications in passenger vehicles, they are unnecessary. They do not provide a better ride than gas shocks. Their one feature is that they're adjustable. Again, for most passenger vehicle applications, adjustability is unnecessary.

so i should get gas shocks for the firebird and tracker? if so know any shocks that are good? because we got new shocks for us tracker a year ago and they are leaking and are bad and hit bumps pretty hard. the firebird shocks never ben replaced sence we got it 10years ago. and it hits bumps pretty hard and even harder when hauling 4 people. by the way the tracker goes every night delivering papers 7days a week on rough roads :( . and the firebird is a very low car so it needs pretty good shocks.

With your shocks being so old and riding mostly on springs the past few years air shocks may be good especially on the front end of the firebird with those coil springs. Air them all the way up and it will not ride smooth as all. Have to find your own medium setting by trial and error.

And you need to check your messages.

is your firebird riding low in the back end? it's got coil springs back there i believe a new set with stock type shocks will be the ride comfort solution...unless of course your tires are over size then your in for tires or air shocks to lift up the back end for clearance. i wouldnt use air shocks to correct a low ride hieght in the rear....for most everyday driving over the counter replacement shocks are just fine...most people drive on shuch bad shocks that anything is a drastick improvement

Archived