Jump to content

Change Mode

Kerr Avon

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Kerr Avon

  • Rank

Previous Fields

  • System Specifications:
    AMD 3100+ 1.8GHz Win XP, 1GB RAM, Nvidea Geforce 6200, DVD burner, three IDE hard drives
  1. In the end, I decided to reformat and use a backup of the drive's contents, and everything is working fine again. Thanks for the help, though, but life's hectic just now, so using an older backup was just more convenient.
  2. A full format and install of Windows 7 is what I'm trying to avoid, if possible. How would I know of any altered registry settings, please? And why did Windows 10 delete the existing restore points, is a question I'd really like to know, as I can't imagine any circumstances when that 'feature' (which I did NOT tell the Windows 10 installation to do) would be useful.
  3. I have a desktop PC running Windows 7, and no other OS, and it was working fine. And since I was going to go down to a friend's house to fix his non-booting Windows 10 PC, I copied Windows 10 from disc to a USB stick (via Rufus, a bootable USB stick creator program), and to test the Windows 10 USB stick was working, I booted up my Windows 7 desktop via the USB stick, got to the Windows 10 menu, and turned off the Windows 7 desktop. I did this because I thought that the Windows 10 installation USB wouldn't actually change anything on the PC until I told it to (which I wasn't going to do, of cou
  4. I'm sorry that I've not replied here sooner, please don't think I've fixed the problem and neglected to post the solution or thank anyone who helped. I've not done anything re: the problem due to real life problems and hardly being at home over the past couple of weeks. I'll post again when things calm down, and if anyone is kind enough to still care then hopefully you can help me address this problem. I wish PC problems or any possession's problems were the only trouble life ever threw at us.
  5. First of all, sorry for not updating sooner, but I've not done anything on the PC (life at the moment is really hectic and I've not been in the mood for PC problems.). I've not tried to fix the PC (not format and reinstall, not take the PC downstairs and connect it via the router, etc) but the last time I touched the PC I started to download a file (a 41GB complete run of a British drama program) to see how fast the downloads were, and because I wanted the TV program (it would also mean having to find out where all the torrent data was stored, to save and restore after any re-format or Acronis
  6. [Continued from the above post] In today's backup (which was made of the original state, with the 5Mb/s download speed) which I've put back on to check that the wi-fi works (it does) the settings for the connection are: IPv4 Connectivity: Internet IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access Media State: Enabled SSID: [it does show this right, but I won't post it here] Duration: [shows the right duration] Speed: 26.0 Mbps [Note that this is wrong by about 21 Mb/s] Signal Quality: [Five green bars in the shape of the wi-fi icon] When I click Details, I get: Connection-
  7. Problem 1) The PC is a Windows 7, 8GB RAM, desktop with Avast Antivirus, and Zone Alarm firewall. A few weeks back, I moved from Talk Talk to Virgin, and got a much faster download speed (50Mb/s). My PC doesn't have a wi-fi built in, so I had to buy a PCI wi-fi adaptor (made by Tenda), installed it, installed the driver from the CD, it detected the Virgin signal, I entered the passkey, and everything was great. I tried a couple of broadband speed websites (such as http://www.speedtest.net/ and http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/) and they reported that my speed was 50Mb/s But a few days
  • Create New...